"Cut and Paste" / Store Copy from Web

Hi,

How about a way to do a screen grab (including page address, date accessed, etc.) and then to record (in case of video or multimedia content), or clip the content (screen shot)?

Many webpages being cited are disappearing over time, and we need a way to “capture” the data, store it, and have it on hand for future reference / audit of the citation.

Thanks

There is one! you can get to it from the  http://www.myendnoteweb.com/ site – from the Download Installers link at the bottom – You can either bookmark it and then I find it works on Chrome, IE, Firefox at least onWindows!  You have the option of importing to endnote web library (with option to add directly to a group) or Endnote (desktop version) - but it doesn’t appear you can add directly to a group on the desktop (at least from Chrome or IE).  

Or you can install the Firefox toolbar - although I find that sometimes Firefox updates break the tool for awhile, so I haven’t used that too much (but just installed and it worked).  

INSTALL CAPTURE REFERENCE TOOL To automatically import references into your EndNote library, you can use the Capture Reference button (a bookmark) as well as EndNote Capture toolbars for Firefox™ (Windows or Macintosh™).

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am not referring to capturing references / citations.

I am referring to copying actual content “cut and paste”, or making a photograph of what is actually shown on my screen.

The problem I am dealing with is that most web content is unstable.

There is no assurance that a link to a certain page will remain the same at some point in the future, or for that matter, even be available.

What is needed is like the “Way Back Machine” that archives the pages, except I want to be able to do it myself, add in “telltales” on my copy that date / time / etc. stamp the copy, and then store it.

That way, if in the future, there is doubt as to whether I actually saw the content claimed, there is an audit trail that can be used.

Thanks!

Then I guess this is the right place for the request. I snip the screen shot manually and add it to the record.  

Yes, and things have really changed.

Whereas 20 years ago, most of our references are from traditional sources such as refereed journals, tightly controlled databases, etc.    Once it is published, it is presumed to be semi-permanent — difficult to alter and readily accessible for those who want to audit the citation trail.

Today, a lot of our content — very good and credible content — is showing up on webpages that are controlled by private operators that do not necessarily keep stuff up indefinately.  

Indeed, much traditional content (including publications) are disappearing, or having their content archived / placed out of reach over time.

Or, content is altered over and over — and one do not know which version is what — despite often major and material changes in content between versions that I have identified in many instances.

That really puts the burden on researchers to demonstrate that what they saw is what was there when they cited it.

I would like this tool to not only snap shot / capture the content — which include multimedia / youtube like content, but also to automate the process of inserting tell tales / tracking information so that we really have some assurance that the captured content is real.    Or at least, someone had to go to a lot of trouble to alter the record.

I can envision different levels of verifiability — up to filing the content in a third party secured database that have extensive audit trails and anti-tampering features that would be extremely useful for material that, for example, must pass evidentary requirements in typical legal jurisdictions.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, and things have really changed.

Whereas 20 years ago, most of our references are from traditional sources such as refereed journals, tightly controlled databases, etc. Once it is published, it is presumed to be semi-permanent — difficult to alter and readily accessible for those who want to audit the citation trail.

Today, a lot of our content — very good and credible content — is showing up on webpages that are controlled by private operators that do not necessarily keep stuff up indefinitely.

Indeed, much traditional content (including publications) are disappearing, or having their content archived / placed out of reach over time.

Or, content is altered over and over — and one do not know which version is what — despite often major and material changes in content between versions that I have identified in many instances.

That really puts the burden on researchers to demonstrate that what they saw is what was there when they cited it.

I would like this tool to not only snap shot / capture the content — which include multimedia / youtube like content, but also to automate the process of inserting tell tales / tracking information so that we really have some assurance that the captured content is real. Or at least, someone had to go to a lot of trouble to alter the record.

I can envision different levels of verifiability — up to filing the content in a third party secured database that have extensive audit trails and anti-tampering features that would be extremely useful for material that, for example, must pass evidentary requirements in typical legal jurisdictions.

Thanks for your help!

That will be great, but perhaps it is just a bit beyond the scope of a referencing package?