Endnote compatibility with Office 2010

Like it or not, time has come finally. Our lab had several PC (XP Pro) infected with malware, and I also had my home PC (XP Pro) totally incapacitated by the similar malware (came as anti-spyware soft). We have decided to upgrade our OS, gradually to Win 7 (enterprize ed), totally skipping Vista, so I’m thinking to upgrade my home PC as well. It will take 3-4 months to check functions of legacy devices and old sofware, in new Win 7 environment. Some may remain XP, and offline with dedicated purposes, as you can imagine.

My Win 7 64 bit, and Office 2010 are coming for my home PC testing, and the first focus will be compatibility with Endnote X3. So, please hurry TR, if EN X3 doesn’t run on 2010, Win 7 64 bit, I will definitely recommend most of the people in my institute, to consider other alternatives.

Instead of saying “I’m still running XP/Word 2003”, I can finally say “I’m running Win 7 and using X3 with Word 2010” in this forum…can I??

Fingers crossed.

I really do have a love/hate relationship with TR/EN. I have paid for the office 2010 because of other features in Outlook, Power Point, and Excel that would make my life much easier. I say would because I won’t be able to use those applications until an update to X4 by endnote. Further, I would prefer to use x64 but won’t be able to because that update is set for some undetermined point in the future. AND, this will be the 3rd time I have to buy an upgraded version of EN just so it will work with my hardware/software configuration. I mean REALLY, this is a problem that has been identified since early 2009!

EN is a great piece of software. But I have been tempted to try something else due to their atrocious support/upgrade/customer service. This is not a cheap piece of kit. I have paid over 400 Euros for 4 verions of their software in 5 years. If I could find something almost as good and that I could import my existing libraries into, I would. Because I want to be treated like a customer and not a captive audience. I want a product that works with the most recent software/hardware configurations. I want clear communication.

Please, lets not start a flame war…

Sorry, to be absolutely honest, I really don’t see why those willing and eager to upgrade to Office 2010, balk at having to upgrade EN at the same time (which is due any day now)?   I am absolutely sure they have been working at the 64 bit problem, and that it isn’t trivial to solve. With as many moving parts as Word and Endnote have to mesh, it doesn’t always make sense to jerry rig the old versions. 

Finally, I would rather they provide a modern working product with as few bugs as possible, then rush out a product which then needs to be patched repeatedly. 

(long time user, but no stock in the product or company association!)

Since Thomson is going to give us the finger and require an upgrade to X4 for Office 2010 compatibility, we’ll no longer continue to be a customer.  This company’s software business policies have annoyed us for some time, but this is more than enough to justify looking elsewhere.

Adios.

EndNote X4 is out. Thanks for avoiding delays with making this version available. By the way, guys, don’t forget that this was not (or not only) TR’s fault that Office 2010 was incompatible with previous versions of EndNote.

Purchase Endnote X4. Uninstall all  previous versions of endnote. Make sure that Word 2010 is working. Install Endnote X4.  Enjoy.

Currently we use EndNote

• version 9 on 10 machines with Office 2007
  • version X1 on about 40-60 machines, with Office 2007 and 2010
  • version X3 on 10 machines with Office 2007 [2010 not usable with this version of EndNote]

We have found that End Note version X1 works with Office 2010, rolled out on 5-10 machines - so far. However tested version X3 on 2010 and this doesn’t work. Could be a cost saving solution instead of buying version X4 for the time being.

We also use version 9 but this has not been tried this version on 2010 as of yet.

Hope this helps