"Endnote Error" - X3

Please see the attachment.  When I tried to copy all of the references from my  “Temp” library to my “Temp” group in “My Library” I received the error message posted in the attachment.  When I click on the “OK” button, the “Temp” library blinked and the error message remained displayed. 

I had to cancel the EndNote process to get rid of the error message.  When I copying the references in smaller chuncks, I’m witnessing weird behavior like references appearing to dissappear in the original library.  Again, please see the attachment.  The references before Freed are still in the “Temp” library despite appearing invisibile.  If I click on them one by one they reappear.

Message Edited by hsrstud on 06-24-2009 12:28 AM

Hello hsrstud,

You probably remember the heated debates about the Online integrated mode introduced in X2 (see X2 first impression thread). The new feature received harsh criticisms because long time users were confused when all the hits by online search were added automatically to the local library, and made tons of duplicates. And the method to eliminate duplicates was also changed, which also became a target of criticism. In response to these complaints, TR added “local” and “online” modes later with the update patch. Before X2, online search opened up temporary window, and user had a freedom to copy or not to local library, and I guess that’s exaclty what you want.

It seems from the “Endnote error” thread you posted, you are using two libraries, opened on the right and left, and both of them are “Online integrated” mode. When you use “Online integrated” mode for both, then it’s very confusing.

I believe what you want to do can be accomplished if you use one of them in “Online” mode, and another in “Local mode”, then select & drag from online mode library to local mode library. At least that’s my method right now to emulate the method prior to X1, and it’s working fine in my Win XP Pro OS. I dedicate one library (called “online trash” library) for this purpose. But, one probleme is, whenever I open the online trash library, it opens as “Online integrated” or “Local” mode, even I closed it with “online” mode. So, I have to switch the mode to “online” every time I use it.

Would you try this, and see what you feel?

Best,

Is this related to Win Vista? It doens’t reproduce in my XP Pro (SP3). I checked my Vista 64 bit, but it didn’t happen either. Are you using Vista 32bit? Are you able to test X3 in XP Pro?

Message Edited by myoshigi on 06-24-2009 07:04 AM

I’m using Vista x64.  After I copied all of the references from this library, I tried a couple other libraries I have and they copied over without issue, although the process was a bit slower than I’m accustomed to.  I’m not sure if this is due to X3 or the fact that the library I’m copying to has ~2,500 references.

My master library I’m copying to has ~6000 references, and I can copy from my “online trash” library to this master without the issue you mention. Maybe related to the number of references you are copying?

I have a few comments and questions on this issue:

• What is the exact version of Windows that you are running EndNote X3 on?

• Did you use the “Find Duplicates” function in your ‘temporary library’ prior to the failed copy?

• Do you recall the exact steps/actions you were taking just prior to this issue occurring?

• Instead of copying, could you try “importing” the one library into the other? If yes, does this work without issue?

• Could you share a copy of the temporary library with us?

Feel free to contact me directly with any of these details and I will have the team look into them.

As in the past few years, we are planning a free update patch for EndNote X3 for the early Autumn and this is the type of thing we would hope to improve if at all possible.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

“- What is the exact version of Windows that you are running EndNote X3 on?”

Vista x64

“- Did you use the “Find Duplicates” function in your ‘temporary library’ prior to the failed copy?”

No

“- Do you recall the exact steps/actions you were taking just prior to this issue occurring?”

I’m pretty sure that all I did was open Endnote (the two libraries were set to open upon startup), select all of the references in the temporary libary, and copy them to my main library.

“- Instead of copying, could you try “importing” the one library into the other? If yes, does this work without issue?”

Unfortunately, I deleted the temporary library last night after I setup a temporary group set in my main library.  I should have considered keeping the library for the forum.

“- Could you share a copy of the temporary library with us?”

Ditto.  If I run into the issue again, I will send you a copy of the temporary library, but I’m only planning on using one library in the future now that we have group sets.  

Sorry I can’t be of more help at this point!

Message Edited by hsrstud on 06-24-2009 10:05 AM

If you do plan to copy a lot of references all at once from the “temporary” library, I suggest importing them rather than copying them, with the discard duplicates (or put them in a duplicate library) ticked, so you don’t have to be too fussy about screening them first or deleting duplicates later. 

Message Edited by Leanne on 06-30-2009 02:23 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.