EndNote X2 - First Impressions and suggestions

There are many things EN can do and many things EN can’t do.

1. Online search > Why don’t you use temporary library in Online mode. It’s not too bad. At least it doesn’t add search hit to your library.

2. Drag and drop display field. Nice idea, but I would like to have more display field first. Then, editable list window, like Excel spread sheet. Sometimes I want to edit each field directly from the list, not opeing each reference. I agree it is cumbersome to change the setting for display field. I would like to have righ-click drop down menu to each “column” that change the display filed.

3. Pubmed search versus EN search. They use different author format. Singleton D. A. for EN and Singleton DA for Pubmed.

0.  I have no such security problem.  Which virus program do you use?  They are the ones to discuss this with. 

1.  Per Myoshigi: I recommend you investigate the tutorials on effective use of the Online option.

2.  You can use the “not” part of the search to remove things you don’t want,

Or after searching, select all and then show all, and hide selected, for another whay to get there. 

3.  Like the idea.  but once customized I rarely rearrange my library display.

4.  I do think the “go to” is not very intuitive.

5.  Would be nice enhancements, but it is my understanding that the underlying structure makes rearranging the field order in the record display difficult.  Please DON’T ask for changes that change the structure – causing backward compatibility problems. 

6.  the more intuitive year search option would be nice.

7. more fuzzy results in a less specific result due to differences in database structures (see Myoshigi’s reply). 

8.  I love the full text and you should find it much improved in X3.  But that depends on your authenitication protocols.   

9.  oh, no number 9.

10.  useful idea

1. useful idea (and they are working on this).

12.  try being a more constructive rather than insulting.  They might take your ideas more seriously.   

site:

1.  I agree the password protection is a bit OTT.

2.  Even with my aging eyes, I kinda like it – but allowing us to modify the default as a part of “skin” would be nice.

3.  Yes, the time out thing can get annoying. 

1. I want an advatar! 

Message Edited by Leanne on 06-27-2009 01:49 PM

Re: 0. Compromised security: …

None of the more reputable antivirus scanners should detect “Endnote Cwyw.dll” as a security risk. If indeed tagged, then it is eirther a false positive related to your virus scanner or a true infection.

Upload and scan your file ASAP at: http://www.virustotal.com/

Mine checked out fine. If the scanners at VirusTotal indicate a problem, then almost certainly it would be your computer that is infected and it would not be EndNote that caused the problem (assuming your EndNote is a legitimate copy).

Good luck!

I found a quick solution for the problems listed.

1. Uninstall Endnote

2. Install free reference manager Zotero

3. Enjoy

Great. Then we are all happy. You use Zotero and I use Endnote. In fact, I don’t want too many things anymore for EN, so I don’t need to take a look at Zotero. EN can do most of the things I want it to do, and that’s all I need. EN is good enough for bibliography formatting, and if there are minor things EN can’t do, I usaully say “let publishing editors take care of it”. EN is good enough for reference management as well, since online search, PDF attachment, and group features have been implemented.

More than those, I want “Cite For You While You Write” feature, or “Write For You While You Play” feature. If Zotero can do that, I’ll seriously consider switching.

3. Let me drag and drop fields. Yes< I can go to Edit-> Prefs->Display Fields-> move fields. But I want to be able to drag and drop. Or "right click -> customize -> drug and drop. Besides, if you want to bring DOI to front -you have to change the settings of the fields 1-8.

Now, if you want to bring DOI to the top in the ref section - you are fully screwed. The fields will not move. No Pasarán.

Thank you for mentioning this point. The software engineers just have to look at Refman to see how to solve this problem (isn´t it the same company?)