EndNote X7 consumes huge abounts of CPU time (between 35% and 40%)

At least on my Mac (Mac OS X, 10.8.5) EndNote X7 consumes huge abounts of CPU time (between 35% and 40%, see attached screen photo) even when it does nothing and is just idle. This reduces substantially my MacBook’s battery runtime. Is there anything I can do about this?

1 Like

Endnote X7 is horribly slow on my laptop running win7. 

I was using a very old Endnote version 7 (not X7) with MS Word 2003.  Updating the bibliography for a 600-page book took some seconds (<1 minute).  As the book was finished a week or two ago I moved to MS Word 2013 and Endnote version X7.  Now doing exactly the same thing takes for ever, certainly >20 minutes, with full CPU power.  It is not tolerable.

Most of the flashing stuff you added are pretty much useless, and I imagine most users would like to do the basic thing, such as inserting a citation and updating the bibliography.  Why can’t you keep the basic functionality of the program more or less intact when you add the useless flashing stuff? 

They react to customer requests, and this leads to some program bloat.  I turn off the hyperlinking “feature” (although I like it when I am checking my students’ thesises for accurate citations).  – Also moving from an older version to a newer version of Word and/or endnote, I always unformat and save as to the newer .docx format and then reformat and save again.  In my experience it is as much about the way word changes the way it handles the fields as it is about Endnote. 

I have a similar issue on a MBP with maverick and X7. With 4 libraries (1500 ref in total) open at the same time, cpu and energy used is around 50-70% . Wtih 2 libraries (600 ref each) CPU and energy % fall to 20%. It is still not normal and reduce time on battery. 

Need some assistance . thank you 

1 Like

I got to solve this problem in Window 7 64-bit to EndNote 7 and 7.1**.**

Follow my tutorial and solve your problem too.

Step 1:

Delete the Word Data registry key

Most of the frequently used options in Word are stored in the Word Data registry key. A common troubleshooting step is to delete the Word Data registry key. The next time that you start Word, Word rebuilds the Word Data registry key by using the default settings.

To view these options in Word 2002 or Word 2003, click  Options  on the  Tools menu.

To view these options in Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click  Word Options.

Note  When you delete the Word Data registry key, Word resets several options to their default settings. One such option is the “most recently used file” list on the File  menu. Additionally, Word resets many settings that you customize in the Options  dialog box.

To delete the Word Data registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Click  Start , click  Run , type regedit, and then click  OK.
  3. Locate the following registry subkey, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:
  4. Word 2002:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft \Office\10.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2003:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\11.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2007:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\12.0\Word\Data

1. Word 2013

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\15.0\Word\Data

1. Click  Data , and then click  Export on the  File
  2. Name the file Wddata.reg, and then save the file to the desktop.
  3. Click  Delete the folder “ Data ” on the  Edit  menu, and then click  Yes.
  4. Exit Registry Editor.
  5. Start Word.

If Word starts and works correctly, you have resolved the problem. The problem was a damaged Word Data registry key. You may have to change several settings to restore your favorite options in Word.

If the problem is not resolved, restore the original Word Data registry key. Then, see the “Delete the Word Options registry key” topic.

To restore the original Word Data registry key, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office programs.
  2. Double-click the  reg icon on the desktop.
  3. Click  Yes , and then click  OK.

Step 2 :

Go into Word, Options, Advanced, Display, and click " disable hardware graphics acceleration".   Solves the EndNote addin problem.

Step 3:

Open your Word software go to EndNote tab -> Make “Instant Formating is Off”

Step 4:

Open your Word software go to EndNote tab -> preferences -> General Tab-> Unmark “Scan for temporary citations every 30 secons” and Unmark “Check for citation changes”- Tutorial By : HackGen Email : hackgen10@gmail.com

1 Like

I am facing severe problems with X7 for Mac OS. It takes ages to just add one reference or open an existing one. What is going on?

very helpful, much appreciated!