my Endnote X7 7.0.1 (b 9257) is really, really high-latency with everything that I do with it. Examples:
- When I edit a reference in an open window and then want to save and close it, it takes 10 seconds (!) until that has happened.
- When I click in the search field, it takes 2 seconds until the cursor actually appears.
- When I then do a search, it takes many seconds until the result is compiled.
- When I am in a group and want to click on “All References” to do the search, it takes something like 5 seconds until it switches over and shows the list with all entries.
- It takes 7 seconds to open a reference with a PDF with text in it (not a scan). 9 or 10 seconds if it’s a scan. The list goes on like this.
In some rare moments, the switching between groups is normal, search is fast, everything’s cool. I don’t know when, though. It’s not about the seconds, it’s about the extreme latency that makes you go insane. In fact, often times, I don’t even search for something if I don’t REALLY need it, because it’s too much interruption and waiting while writing.
The thing is, I’m on an ok-fast laptop with an intel i7 2.6GHz processor with a large SSD mass storage and 16GB RAM, so I can’t imagine my machine is too slow. A colleague of mine has a two-year old MacBook Air, and his Endnote X5 is snappy like anything else.
What’s the matter here?
In case this is needed:
Endnote X7 7.0.1
~1300 Reference entries
~1100 of which with PDF attachments
3 word document records with 43, 71 and 77 citations
OS X 10.8.5
MacBook Pro Retina 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 768GB SSD