[hereafter LastName, Short Title] in footnote. Is it possible?

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to EndNote and I’m struggling with customizing it. Hopefully you might be able to help.

What I need is to include information about the short form of citation in the full one but only if the source is repeated later on in the text.

So for instance, if a publication is cited once only, I want to have in the footnote:

Michael Pollan, The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (New York: Penguin, 2006), 99–100.

(example taken from http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html)

However, if it is going to be cited more than once, on the first instance it needs to say:

Michael Pollan, The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (New York: Penguin, 2006), [hereafter Pollan, Omnivore’s Dilemma], 99–100.

and the next time it’s cited:

Pollan, Omnivore’s Dilemma, 80.

Is it possible to achieve?

Many thanks,

p.

Which EndNote output style are you using? Have you tried Chicago 16th A?

Where did you find these instructions, as they are not part of the Chicago Manual of Style you linked to?  I don’t think there is a way to automate that in Endnote.  I don’t think there is an “if this one appears again later, then come back and edit this one to include additional referal information” ability.