Maximum number of references

I am trying to run my Word 2003 document with a Reference Manager 10 database. I have corrected any mistakes that might have been within the references, made sure that all track changes have been accepted, that it is turned off that there are not comments in the document etc… Everytime I try to run the biblo it looks like it is going to go through and then it stops and says an unknown error has occured. I am wondering if it might have something to do with the number of citations that are in the document, overall it should be producing a biblo with over 800 different references, does anyone know if this is possible?

Hi Roxanne,

Theoretically speaking and to the best of my knowledge there is no limit to the number of citations you can put in a document, though you are limited to a maximum of 50 references per group of citations. Practically there is one, but it is well over 800 (depending on the speed of your computer and how cranky Word is acting).

Based on the minimal information that you provided, I’d give the procedure outlined at http://refman.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq6.asp a try. It isn’t a cure-all, but it helps more often than it doesn’t.

If that doesn’t work, give that procedure a try but at step 3 select just the first half of your paper instead of the whole document. Next, in a separate document try the second half. Does that work any better?