Problem with trial and video training

Hello

I am trying to get started on this trial. The libraries  I want to use are not on the endnote list. All training via universities is not applicable as they use their own database. The video from the site - 7 minutes to learn endnote  is garbled and keeps stopping so I haven’t been able to follow it.

I can’t find a search engine URL within endnote to begin my search. All I know is that I have to use integrated search. I found the search boxes down the bottom of the page and I tried several titles and authors and it didn’t find anything. I need to do a browser search as demonstrated.

I am very frustrated so can anyone assist please.? Oh and there is a direct export function but I cant find it. The video already has it set up and doesnt show you how toget it. I am using explore but I can use firefox. Using Win 7

Also I tried Libraries australia as I am a member but everytime I try and connect endnote stops working

Thank you in anticipation

If you want to use a specific library catalogue which isn’t included in the search connections that come bundled with EndNote, the best thing to do is to go to that library’s website and see whether they offer a downloadable connection file that you can add to EndNote. If you search their website for “EndNote” you may also find some general help on using EndNote with their collections.

To get a feel for the way EndNote’s search works, you might find it helpful to play around with searching one of the libraries that are already included in online search even though the references themselves aren’t going to be relevant to you.

EndNote doesn’t include an “internal” web browser like some other reference programs, because it uses a special protocol (z39.50) which was specifically designed for programs searching catalogues of references.

You might be confusing Endnote with Endnote Web.  I don’t think that Endnote web is a part of the trial. 

@kaila wrote:

The video from the site - 7 minutes to learn endnote  is garbled and keeps stopping so I haven’t been able to follow it.

I can’t find a search engine URL within endnote to begin my search. All I know is that I have to use integrated search. I found the search boxes down the bottom of the page and I tried several titles and authors and it didn’t find anything. I need to do a browser search as demonstrated…Oh and there is a direct export function but I cant find it. The video already has it set up and doesnt show you how toget it. I am using explore but I can use firefox. Using Win 7

Also I tried Libraries australia as I am a member but everytime I try and connect endnote stops working

Thank you in anticipation

Video streaming may be affected by a slow internet connection. You might try either: 1) letting the video completely download before pressing “Play”; or 2) downloading the video file itself to your computer then playing the file from your computer instead of the web.

Thomson Reuters offers free live training webinars so you might check the schedule and sign-up: http://www.endnote.com/training/

Hard to say why you’re having problems connecting with Libraries Australia. Testing the EndNote connection “Libraries Australia” file seems to work - at least the prompt asking for login and password pops up onscreen. If you see the prompt and entered your login and password but encounter problems suggest you contact Libraries Australia as there might be a problem with your account. Also, note that accessing Libraries Australia (LA) can be performed in 2 ways: 1) using a EndNote connection file within the software program to access LA; or 2) going to LA on the web (not through EndNote) to use their direct export option (assuming LA offers this) to search then download references from LA into EndNote.

Sorry you are having problems.  As CG suggests go to http://www.endnote.com/training/ and look at the EN supplied training materials.  try the first link to view, or to download the training.  skip the first one, in fact - go to the third topic. 

I much prefer the Online rather than integrated search (illustrated in the training above), as you can select the reference you want in your library.  In integrated, everything (except duplicates IF you change the default preferences to omit the duplicate download). 

Once you have done those, consider participating in a webinar. 

hello

These re the videos that are garbled and  keep stopping and they still dont show me how to do an independent search in libraries not in the list… I now know how to use Google scholar. Ths is ok becaus I am not doing research just redoing my manual references but I still need to get into my state library and all other relevant university libraries. I dont know how to do this as online search just takes me to the reference fields bottom of the page.I tried several books nd none showed up in this search so this is no good. I want to be able to use the browser to get to the library and then add to notebook. I could do his in Zoltero. However ere is no paid support in Zoltero and my student who added my references into word that I lost knows how to use endnote. I dont want to pay such a lot of money and find it doesnt do all I want it to do.

Most of the university already have the libraries inbuilt so no need to go anywhere else to look. I found when she did my refernces she used her account at the uni to look them up but had trouble with references that were not in her library.

thanks anyway

No I used the tuturial leanne was talking about

I spoke to my library but onone knew what I was talking about. No use using American reference libraries for material that relates to my state and to australia as they are not there. I would find it easy if I could use one of these databases but even the australian libraries doesnt have books I need. I can use my state library to add to my library list in Zoltero. It is very easy.

Bu this is not the programme I want to use because no paid support support.

Someone suggested i go to a seminar but there are none in mys state.

If I cant go to the broswer to search and then add to endnote it is useless to me it seems.

Thanks for your time

Re weinar.

No not an option as I cant set this up and I can only sit for half an hour without a break and probably wont be relevant to me as none of these tutorials seem to be. They go too fast and I have looked at them many many timms and still cant follow steps because just not relevant. No use playing around with resources that are not relevant when I dont even know if I will be able to access the data I want. Time for all that when I can find out how to do a normal web search of my libraries and add to endnote

Thanks for your time again.

I amswered this but doesnt appear under your topic. Cant see how I can quote as I do on other forums. I posted two answers - one about webinar as well.

Mmmm re this below. I cant see a direct export option but decided this is not a library that is useful to me. I did manage to get in and stay connected.

<going to LA on the web (not through EndNote) to use their direct export option (assuming LA offers this) to search then download references from LA into EndNote.>

As I said but cant see where it appears endnote is not going to work for me. I cant see why I cant do a browser search and go to one of the university libraries as all the ones in Perth offfer it to their students but as I say their version is inbuilt with their library. I rang one of the universities but they couldnt help for this reason and someone said to use Zoltero. I tried this and it is good but no paid support. Sorry if duplicating responses.

It seems clear from the answers that I cannot do an external search and put the reference into endnote unless my version is licenced to a university that uses this. Would this be a correct assumption??

Sorry to be a pain but if this is the case this seems a really big problem for such and expensive programme.

@kaila wrote:

Mmmm re this below. I cant see a direct export option but decided this is not a library that is useful to me. I did manage to get in and stay connected.

As I said but cant see where it appears endnote is not going to work for me. I cant see why I cant do a browser search and go to one of the university libraries as all the ones in Perth offfer it to their students but as I say their version is inbuilt with their library. I rang one of the universities but they couldnt help for this reason and someone said to use Zoltero. I tried this and it is good but no paid support. Sorry if duplicating responses.

It seems clear from the answers that I cannot do an external search and put the reference into endnote unless my version is licenced to a university that uses this. Would this be a correct assumption?? .

Per my responseto your other posting on the “EndNote How To” forum it might be helpful to identify the libraries you want to access; and/or search for the corresponding EndNote connection file then test the file. It’s possible, however, that those university libraries have restricted access, enabling only university community members to search the online databases. If so, you may have to rely on open/public access resources instead.

You’ll need to research which libraries within your area are accessible to you and your particular research needs. EndNote forum users may be able to help search for connection files and import filters but need more information to focus search efforts within their own time and work constraints.

Also note that Zotero needs to be configured first for Direct Exporting references into EndNote:

EndNote: Configuring Zotero to allow the direct export to function

The Zotero plug-in for Mozilla Firefox can be configured to allow the direct export to EndNote, EndNote Web, Reference Manager or ProCite.

1. To open Zotero click on the Z or Zotero in the lower right corner of the Firefox window. If Z or Zotero are not showing in the corner of the window click on Tools and click on Zotero.
  2. In the Zotero window near the left end of the upper boarder above My Library is a round icon that looks like a gear and with a downward triangle to the right. When the mouse pointer hovers over the icon the popup should say “Actions.”
  3. Click on Actions and then click on Preferences.
  4. On the General tab go to the section called Miscellaneous.
  5. In the Miscellaneous section uncheck the box that says “Use Zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files.”
  6. On a Windows computer click on OK, on a Macintosh close the Preferences window.

After that close Firefox and restart the browser. Zotero will no longer capture the exported files.

Hello

Thank you for your response.

I have already added lots of references from my libraries into Zotero so I know that it can be done very easily. That is why I can’t understand why an expensive programme can’t do the same thing. .So are you saying that i have to use Zotero and endnote??? or are you just saying that I can transfer them into endnote if I decide to get it. I cant see any sense in this. I really want endnote because the student I have hired uses this and it seems easier if I can actually get my libraries into endnote. I have done all my research so only using it for citations and bibliography. Cite while you write seems good and I want to be able to use this… In case you mised the frst post I lost all my citations when my hard drive crashed. They wern’t backed up, although I did have an external modem.

I want to use endnote if it is suitable for my needs, not Zotero for reasons I have stated. Also the back up seems easier and more to what I am used to in my genealogy package which is safe. However, I have been told people doing research use both programmes.

I checked out the link you gave me, but they are in no specific order and I haven’t been able to find any of the universities I use.  I have been looking since your post. A search option for the name of the library would be useful.

I am looking to connect to” State library of Western Australia”

http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/

and

University of Western Australia  http://www.uwa.edu.au/

Your post

<To locate and download connection files (to connect fo libraries - but note some libraries may have restricted access: http://www.endnote.com/support/enconnections.asp

To locate and download Import filters (to convert .txt or RIS files so they may be imported into EndNote: http://www.endnote.com/support/enfilters.asp>

On the latter point regarding importing filters this is beyond my level of expertise and I can’t understand it, sorry.

Many thanks for your time.

I need to go now but will pick this up again tomorrow…

kind regards

On further reading of the firefox/zotero i can see it would solve my problem wouldn’t it? That is if the endote libraries I use cant be accessed anyother way.

I wish I could just sit down with you and work thru the issues and problem you are having.  If you find Zotero to your liking, I understand that the support community is really quite good and responsive.  What you are getting here on this Endnote forum is also “unpaid” support!  We are just experienced users.  Also, if you still want to use Endnote, and can currently download to Zotero, but not endnote, yes you can use the resources together.  But if Zotero is installed, it may also have bypassed downloads to Endnote, and directed them to Zotero.  This is not uncommon, which may explain some of your difficulties. 

Perhaps the internet connection is interferring with the video downloads which originate here in the states.  Have you called local Endnote support in Australia? Also, this page lists webinars on the Australian vendors site.   http://www.crandon.com.au/EndNote/webinars/webinars.html

I also went to the U of Western Australia and found this training page: http://libguides.is.uwa.edu.au/content.php?pid=39446&sid=289558 but found no endnote resources on the SLWA site.  (the search I did at UWA is this http://search.uwa.edu.au/search.html?site=search&hl=en&query=search&words=endnote and there are multiple pages of results. 

Please note there are two different programs Endnote and Endnote Web - and they do things in different ways, so make sure you are looking at the appropriate training. As I believe I mentioned somewhere, Endnote Web is not usually a part of the trial.   Zotera is more like endnote web I think, but I could be wrong about that.  It has been a long time since I looked at it.  (but is is free!)

They also offer videos on their EndNote Training YouTube Channel? Find it here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EndNoteTraining
Have you looked at those?

@kaila wrote:

I checked out the link you gave me, but they are in no specific order and I haven’t been able to find any of the universities I use.  I have been looking since your post. A search option for the name of the library would be useful.

and

Searching the EndNote list of “Connection Files” using the sort option “Information Provider” yielded the two connections files you’re looking for: University of Western Australia and State Library of Western Australia. Both files are attached for your convenience.

Download the files to your computer then copy both files to the “Connections” folder in your EndNote Program directory. The folder’s location would be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X5\Connections.

Once the connection files are installed you can launch the EndNote program then select the connection file you want to use then activate the connection.

As for your comments/questions re: Zotero, see Leanne’s response.
U Western Australia.enz (23 KB)
State Lib of Western Australia.enz (23.3 KB)

@kaila wrote:

and

Besides finding the two connection files for the sources you indicated in your message, I also came across connection files for: State Library of Queensland, State Library of South Australia, and State Library of Victoria. Don’t know if you’re interested in any of them but have attached the files for your convenience.

State Lib of Queensland (1).enz (30.2 KB)
State Lib of South Australia.enz (23.1 KB)
State Lib of Victoria.enz (30.3 KB)

Hi  Guysl

After all this my student says she uses endnote web and does her citations manually in word  using the online account!!! Online account sounds a safer option. Also the Australian help desk gave me a new link for the library and a pdf instructions on how to install it. So now I have to decide.

One last request. Leanne was warning me to be careful not to download tutorials for endnote web because they are quite different. Which way should I go bearing in mind my needs and the fact that the student uses endnote web and can give me training. Plus if it is quicker for her I dont hae to pay her as much over time? I would also want the plug in for cite as you write.

kind regards

Yes, well now you do want the Endnote Web tutorial!  but you will need to review them to decide if you want to install the program, as it is not a part of the trial anyway.  But it is a part of the program. 

good luck.  (I can’t provide advice on the web version, as I have not used it at all.)