Search syntax/search Differences between PubMed and Endnote Remote DB search?

I would like to replicate the PubMed search

iowa gambling task and (fmri or pet) (search 1)

PM and EN return the same results if I search just

iowa gambling task (search 2: 244 refs),

or if I search

iowa gambling task and fmri (search 3: 20 refs),

or

iowa gambling task and pet (search 4: 4 refs),

but if I search

iowa gambling task and (fmri or pet)

on a single line in the EN search interface, then I get only 2 refs, whereas the same search directly in pubmed yields 22 refs (since 2 of the 24 refs included in the OR of search 3 and search 4 contain both the word pet and the word fmri). So, in order to perform search 1 within endnote, I have to search

iowa gambling task and fmri

on one line, with 

iowa gambling task and pet

on a second line, joined by the Or button, which seems pretty cumbersome. Can someone confirm that there is no better way to search from within EN? I would like to use EN for complicated searches, but this makes the complicated moreso.

Thanks,

Graham

Message Edited by gwr on 07-30-2009 10:21 AM

The AND operator is automatic with Pubmed searches, so you can just input a search as:

iowa gambling task pet

For the OR operator, you have to use the EndNote menu boxes.

Remember that with EndNote online searches, the Boolean operators are processed strictly in order of input.

So I would input this search on three separate lines:

pet

OR fmri

AND iowa gambling task

This produces 22 hits with the EndNote online search.

Thanks, that’s very helpful and quick! EN’s boolean syntax is still incomplete, no? How in EN would you do the equivalent of

(pet or fmri) and (“iowa gambling task” or “decision making”)?

The last OR would take the first three phrases and simply OR them with “decision-making”, wouldn’t it? It would be great if EN just allowed us to be grown ups and write boolean syntax on our own <sigh> …

Best,

Graham