Semicolon instead of comma for multiple year reference

Hello,

According to the citation format I’m following, when I put in more than two references by the same author(s) but from different years, they should be separated by a comma, to look like this:

(Smith, Jones, and Clark 2003, 2004a, 2004b).

While this has been working for me and Endnote has been putting in the commas as needed, in one particular spot, it’s inserting a semicolon instead, like this:

(Smith, Jones, and Clark 2003, 2004a; 2004b).

Usually, it only adds semicolons to seperate two or more completely different references in one area, as in:

(Smith, Jones, and Clark 2003, 2004a, 2004b; Parker 1998; Dawson 2000).

From my understanding, EndNote must see a difference in the formatting somewhere, so that it groups the third reference as different and deserving of a semicolon, but, at the same time, it’s not re-inserting the names as it would if it really did think they were different authors for some reason (which shouldn’t be the case, since I have them inputted the exact same way and spelling.)

I have no clue why this is happening and what step to take to fix this… any tips or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

Marta

If you unformat it what does it look like in curley brackets, and what does the citation template look like in the style?

Hello Leanne,

I just realized I didn’t explain it properly; it IS in fact repeating the names, so it must recognize a difference in the authors somewhere. Still not sure why, though.

So, formatted, it looks like this (I’ve excluded author names for the first one since it’s already in the body text):

…was investigated by Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah (1996, 1998**; Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah 2000)** and Basu et al. (1998).

or, when I exclude the names of the 2000 reference, 

…was investigated by Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah (1996, 1998 ; 2000 ) and Basu et al. (1998).

When I’d like it to do this:

…was investigated by Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah (1996, 1998 , 2000 ) and Basu et al. (1998). 

One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that, in the reference list at the end of the document, it inserts a long line for the 2000 ref. authors, so there, it recognizes it as the same as the 1996 and 1998 ones.

The citation template is simply (Author Year Cited Pages).

Thanks!

As well, unformatted, it reads:

was investigated by Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah {ADDIN EN.CITE {ADDIN EN.CITE DATA}} and Basu et al. {ADDIN EN.CITE <EndNote><Cite Exclude Auth=“1”><Author>Basu</Author><Year>1998</Year><RecNum>267</RecNum><record><rec-number>267</rec-number><foreign-keys><key app=“EN” db-id='aw22520wwwzvz1ed9e9xrvvu9fs9pdtwzrfz">267</key></foreign-keys><ref-type name=“Journal Article”>17</ref-type><contributors><authors><author>Basu, S.</author><author>Kanda, W.C.</author><author>Nandakumar, K.</author><author>Masliyah, J.H.</author></authors></contributors><titles><title>Effect of Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Clays on Bitumen Displacement by Water on a Glass Surface</title><secondary-title></titles><periodical><full-title></periodical><pages>959-965</pages><volume>37</volume><number>3</number><dates><year>1998</year>pub-dates><date>January</date></pub-dates></dates><urls></urls></record></Cite><EndNote}.

From the unformatted text above, it seems to me it’s only doing the second Basu et al. 1998 reference – I don’t see anything for the first three (Basu, Nandakumar, Masliyah 1996, 1998, and 2000.) But this is all over my head!

I hope there’s enough info here to determine where I’m going wrong! Thank you again!

Marta

So the easiest thing to do is to copy and paste the authors from the 1996 record to replace those in the 2000 reference. 

Sorry - didn’t see the subsequent msg.  I meant the temporary citation not the “show field”.  Not even I can interpret that! :smileyvery-happy:

– There is probably some subtle difference.  I think the “duplicate” settings for bibliographies must be somehow different from those used in the citations, but I am not sure why!

Message Edited by Leanne on 09-21-2009 03:01 PM

So the easiest thing to do is to copy and paste the authors from the 1996 record to replace those in the 2000 reference. 

Sorry - didn’t see the subsequent msg.  I meant the temporary citation not the “show field”.  Not even I can interpret that! :smileyvery-happy:

– There is probably some subtle difference.  I think the “duplicate” settings for bibliographies must be somehow different from those used in the citations, but I am not sure why!

(Edited)

Oops! Sorry bout that. :slight_smile: Here’s what it shows for unformatted:

{Basu, 1996 #266; Basu, 1998 #15; Basu, 2000 #460; Basu, 1996 #266; Basu, 1998 #15; Basu, 2000 #460; Basu, 1996 #266; Basu, 1998 #15; Basu, 2000 #460; Basu, 1996 #266; Basu, 1998 #15; Basu, 2000 #460; Basu, 1996 #266; Basu, 1998 #15; Basu, 2000 #460}

Formatted:

(Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah 1996, 1998; Basu, Nandakumar, and Masliyah 2000).

I tried copying and pasting the authors from the 1996 ref to the 2000 one in EndNote, and re-inserting the 2000 reference, but no luck.

I’m thinking of doing it some other roundabout way, like putting the 2000 ref as a suffix to the 1998 one, with a comma in front, and then putting it somwhere in there but making it invisible so that it still shows up in the reference list.

you have a few duplicates in that citation! In fact, I would delete the whole set at this point and reinsert them?   Remember that after making the change to the author, you may have to unformat/reformat anyway  to ensure it is pulling these from the library and not the traveling library.  Don’t forget to turn CWYW on again from the third tab during the reformating.

You shouldn’t have to cudgel it, to get it work right…

So, an update (in case anyone encounters this issue):

I completely deleted everything and tried again to input the references. Same problem with the semicolon. Finally, I just deleted the problematic reference from my library altogether and input it again.

Now it works!

Thanks Leanne for your advice, as always!

Marta