Uncategorized References appears in Bibliography

Hey,

the headline Uncategorized References appears in my bibliography, although there are no Uncategorized References in this document (see attached file). 

Any Idea how to fix this?

I am thankful for help.

AMG

Uncategorized.zip (146 KB)

How are you generating the bibliography?  

I use Cite while you write in Office for Mac 2011 and EndNote X 7.2.

Sorry, I meant that it must be based on a output style?  I am not familiar with how the output style creates the headers in this example.  

Microsoft Word > EndNote tab > “Categorize References” button in the “Bibliography” section> uncheck “Group References by Custom Categories” > regenerate bibliography.

Hi, I have the same problem as AMG. I have 3 uncategorized references at the end of my bibliography although all references are categorized with CWYW (strangely in the configure categories window there are only 226 references counted, although I used 229 as shown by endnote). I cannot solve this problem and would be thankful for any suggestions!

Hi, I have the same problem as AMG. There are 3 uncategorized references at the end of my bibliography although I have categorized all references with CWYW. (strangely the configure categories windows also shows 3 references less than my bibliography actually has.) I cannot solve this problem and are happy about any suggestions!

@evian wrote:

I have 3 uncategorized references at the end of my bibliography although all references are categorized with CWYW (strangely in the configure categories window there are only 226 references counted, although I used 229 as shown by endnote).

Are you categorizing the references by reference type (e.g. books, journal articles, etc.) or types of sources (e.g., primary, secondary)? What do you mean you categorized the references by “CWYW”? Usually the categorizing occurs by either: 1) configuring categories then drag and dropping the references into the particular categories or 2) I groups modifying the output style template.

Depending on which method you used (#1 or 2) if you have uncategorized references it sounds like the three were not assigned to the proper category or possibly might be duplicate entries. Recheck the three uncategorized references to verify: 1) the assigned reference type (if categorizing them by reference type) was included as a category, 2) the three references were assigned/dragged-and-dropped into the proper character category; 3) the output style file’s “Category” setting was properly set up (if you opted to establish the categories in this method); and 4) the three references are not duplicate references.

I categorized my references by type of source and configured my categories by drag and dropping the references into the categories I created. I did not modify the output style template.

What do you mean by the proper charakter category?

The three references that appear as uncategorized at the end of my bibliography are not duplicate references, but they are very similar to other references in the bibliography (same author, same title, but published in different journals). They do not appear in the configure categories window, so I can’t put them in any of my categories.

I already expected the similarity to be a problem… is there a solution to this?

Thanks for your help.

That’s odd. The three references are not duplicates. If the categories were created then the references should be able to be dragged and dropped into their respective category. Do the three references share any similarities as to the type of reference or the way they were cited in-text? If there is a glitch you might try starting over by re-creating the categories and drag/drop the references into their respective category or contact tech support:

Technical support

For help using EndNote

Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4

Submit a technical support request

International support contacts

I’m getting the same original problem: “Uncategorized References” appearing in my bibliography regardless of whether I have ‘Group References by Custom Category’ checked or unchecked.

If I put all the references in a custom category, and have the feature checked, it works fine.

I just want it turned off and it doesn’t appear to do so.

I’m running Word for Mac 2011 and Endnote X7.7.1

Thanks for any suggestions!

I’m getting what may be the same original problem: “Uncategorized References” appearing in my bibliography regardless of whether I have ‘Group References by Custom Category’ checked or unchecked.

If I put all the references in a custom category, and have the feature checked, it works fine.

I just want it turned off to show no category labels and it doesn’t appear to do so without giving me “Uncategorized References”.

I’m running Word for Mac 2011 and Endnote X7.7.1

Thanks for any suggestions!

Same problem here. Are there any solutions?

@adamwest123 wrote:

Same problem here. Are there any solutions?

I know it’s a pretty old post. In case some other people are still having trouble with this, please read the solution in the attachment (it was by some other people, however, i cant paste the link here…)

endnote_categories.pdf.zip (298 KB)