APA 5th output style in EndNote X6

Hi there, 

i’m new here. Currently writing on a paper to submit in Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology. A specific output style in Endnote does not exist for this journal, APA 5th style is required. The problem is that the output style of APA 5th is not correct for Archives of Clinical Neuropsych. For example, issue number shall NOT be included (but Endnote does it anyway). More than 2 authors should be abbreviated with et al (which Endnote doesn’t). How can I fix this? Has anyone had similar problems? 

Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately publishers say one thing then edit to another.  In many cases the publishing house recognizes the differences and have software in place to correct, but it is also relatively easy (if you are using the desktop version of Endnote) to edit a style to correspond to the minor differences you describe.  I actually don’t have a copy of APA 5th, but the changes necessary are to the Author List of the Citation template (currently I suspect the first listing is 6 authors or more, then list 1 - which you should change to 3, and the second listing is correctly set at 3 already.  – for the “issue” issue, you edit the bibliography template for the journal and delete the |(Issue) from the template. 

Afterwards save to the new name “Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology”  and then in the manuscript in question (not in the endnote program) change the output style in the endnote ribbon or “format bibliograph” dialog to this output style.  You may have to view all or browse to find it, if it isn’t listed in the dropdown already. 

If you are using endnote web, then an administrator needs to be involved to add a mondified style to your options. 

@psych wrote:

The problem is that the output style of APA 5th is not correct for Archives of Clinical Neuropsych. For example, issue number shall NOT be included (but Endnote does it anyway). More than 2 authors should be abbreviated with et al (which Endnote doesn’t). 

Here’s a modified version of APA 5th (attached) which: 1) omits issue numbers (journals) in the bibliography; and 2) abbreviates more than 2 authors (in the in-text citations) with et al.

APA 5th-modifiedACN.ens (55.1 KB)

Are you absolutely sure that the journal editors never want the issue number included? That strikes me as odd in the situation where a journal starts it’s pagination afresh for each issue within a volume, as in that case the reference will be ambiguous. The reader would need to consult each issue in order to locate the article, or indeed could be puzzled not to locate the article in the first issue of a volume.

APA 5th specifies omitting the issue number if the pagination continues throughout a volume (which does seem to be the most common practice in journals), but also specifies that the issue number is to be included if the pagination restarts in each issue.

I realise the journal’s instructions to authors only mentions using volume numbering, but I do wonder whether they really intend that to always pertain even when ambiguity would arise.

Cheers

John

well it says the following on the journal’s homepage (archives of clinical neuropsychology):

"References

This journal follows American Psychological Association Manual of Style (5th ed.) as a guide for style and citation. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of the references. Published articles and those in press (state the journal which has accepted them and enclose a copy of the manuscript) may be included. In the text, a reference should be cited by author and date. Not more than two authors may be cited per reference; if there are more than two authors, use et al in the in-text parenthetical citation.

At the end of the manuscript, the citations should be typed in alphabetical order, with the authors’ surnames preceding initials. References should include, in the following order: authors’ names, year, complete title of the article, journal title, volume number, inclusive page numbers, and (for books only) name and address of publisher. The name of the journal should be italicized and appear in full. References will appear in type as below:

• Cary, C. L., Woods, S. P., Rippeth, J. D., Heaton, R. K., & Grant, I. (2006). Prospective memory in HIV-1 infection. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 28, 536–548."

I assume, issue numbers should really NOT be included. Otherwise, I found issue numbers in papers published in this journal. How can I be sure what to do?

In my experience, Journal publishers have programs these days that tweak these things.  I have never had a publisher come back and make me redo refs with tiny inconsistencies like the inclusion of an issue number.  Worry about content and not a detail like this. 

BTW – not many Journals, at least in science require the issue number these days to locate the article, In fact, the only one I remember was Lacet prior to 1990 (and they renumbered them! when they switched to a sequential volume numbering scheme).  Humanities may differ in this respect. 

(Hence, I guess I would just use CrazyGecko’s revised style, if I were you.)

I’m gonna stick to that then. Thank you all for youbr advice!