Beta testers needed for EndNote X5 for Macintosh

Dear EndNote Users,

As most of you know, we have now released EndNote X5 for Windows. Registered owners of EndNote X3 or later for Macintosh can now apply to become beta testers. We anticipate having a beta available for testing within the next two weeks.

Before applying to beta test, please note the requirements below.

* Prospective testers must have access to a computer running one of the supported operating systems and the proper permissions to install software. You must have a Mac with an Intel processor running OS 10.5 or OS 10.6. Support for OS 10.7 is planned but full support will be dependent on Apple’s timing of the OS 10.7 public release.

* Prospective testers must have access to the Internet and a valid e-mail account. All communication is handled via e-mail and bugs are reported using Bugzilla, which is a web-based tool.

* It is desirable to have Microsoft Word for testing Cite While You Write. Supported versions of Word will be 2008 and 2011 with the latest service pack installed.

* You must have a strong grasp of EndNote’s current features and functionality and be willing to allocate sufficient time to test new functionality.

Beta test cycles last about 10 weeks with releases at two-week intervals. We ask that you not apply to beta test if you will be gone for more than two weeks during that time, as timely feedback is crucial during the testing cycle.

EndNote users who meet these criteria can apply to be a beta tester for EndNote X5 for Macintosh by filling out the form at http://www.endnote.com/testing.

We will contact eligible users just prior to the first beta release.  Note that users selected for beta testing will be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement, which states in part that beta testers cannot discuss any information regarding the beta product in Thomson Reuters forums or elsewhere until the product release is publicly announced.

Beta testers may be awarded a complimentary copy of the released version of EndNote. Complimentary copies are sent out at the discretion of the EndNote Team and are awarded based on quality of feedback and extent of participation.

Thank you for your support of EndNote. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
The EndNote Team

Hi, 

Having read the BETA testers ad 

I’d like to enroll in this program.

I’ve been using ENDNOTE since

my doctoral thesis in 2003-2007

and I’m still using it in my linguistic

research on my Macbook PRO.

I work in MS WORD 2011 and 

I crawl in all kind of databases

with papers about languages.

I hope I can help you, Konrad

The marketing materials I received for Mac X5 were a bit difficult to follow and your marketing dept. should know this.  I clicked on the link  from the sales email which I supposed would lead me to purchase an X5 upgrade from X4.  On the link the first item was a Windows X5 upgrade.  Admittedly I didn’t look very closely to the Mac one, assumed it also was for an X5 upgrade, purchased the upgrade, and lo and behold when it arrived it was for X4.  When I called customer service they said the Mac X5 won’t be out for a couple more months.  When I returned to the website and looked more closely it did say X4 with an automatic upgrade to X5, but I had assumed this meant it was the X5 upgrade.  That would have given me two X4 upgrades (I purchased the first one last year when it came out) - the second one being unnecessary.  Your customer service person was excellent - she said she’d just send the X5 when ready for distribution.  But this was an unnecessary waste of her and my time, and a let down in expectations.

Perhaps in the future your marketing folks can send out upgrade announcements to Mac users when the X5 is ready.  Or make clear on the links and website that this is not an upgrade, but a close-out sale on the old one.

Has the beta testint started? I have helped since earliest beta testing and I feel alone without EN beta in summer!

Ben

I’m very disappointed. I have also tested for many years and always got an invite via e-mail. At no point was I or anyone else informed that all the testing would be solicited via this forum or facebook or twitter. I happened, out of curiosity, to e-mail the EndNote folks yesterday and was told it was too late and I just should have checked this forum (which I never had a reason to use before), facebook or twitter (I’ve been on twitter for ages and still can’t find the EndNote account on twitter).

This is a shame. It feels like a slap in the face to many of us who have given up a lot of time and effort to beta test EndNote for several years. At the very least, an e-mail should have gone out to all of us notifying us that beta testers will now be recruited in this forum, etc. Sorry, but I use EndNote all the time and it works, so I’ve never needed to come here before.

Not a huge big deal to me-EN X4 is fine for my needs. But I really would have liked to provide input to the next version, as I’ve done before, and this was quite a surprise to me. I beta test other software apps, and have not felt treated poorly by any before, until this episode.

I’m a bit dissappointed too. I filled out the form around middle of july and was not chosen either. As a professional librarian, it would have been nice to get to know the product before it is out. I also don’t like the fact that we have no idea when the product will be out. It’s supposed to be 10 weeks in beta but starting when??? 

I think that EndNote X4 was so buggy that they decided to fire all (or most of) old betat testers! I guess they used us as whipping boys for the bad performances of EN X4…

Ben

I’m very disappointed. I have also testedformany years and always got an invite via e-mail. At no point was I or anyone else informed that all the testing would be solicited via this forum or facebook or twitter. I happened, out of curiosity, to e-mail theEndNotefolks yesterday and was told it was too late and I just should have checked this forum (which I never had a reason to use before), facebook or twitter (I’ve been on twitterforages and still can’t find theEndNoteaccount on twitter).   This is a shame. It feels like a slap in the face to many of us who have given up a lot of time and effort to beta testEndNoteforseveral years. At the very least, an e-mail should have gone out to all of us notifying us that beta testers will now be recruited in this forum, etc. Sorry, but I useEndNoteall the time and it works, so I’ve neverneededto come here before.   Not a huge big deal to me-EN X4 is fineformy needs. But I really would have liked to provide input to the next version, as I’ve done before, and this was quite a surprise to me. I beta test other software apps, and have not felt treated poorly by any before, until this episode.

computers
computer hardware store