BibTex Label Generator Plugin

Hi,

I’ve created a plugin that generates BibTeX compatible labels in Endnote. This plugin uses the label field of a reference to store the generated label, using the lowercase of the authors surname followed by the last 2 digits of the year. If there are duplicates, a random 5 character string is appended. It will not overwrite existing labels. This works with the built in BibTex output style.

You can get the plugin and view its source here: github.com/JonnoFTW/BibTeX-Label-Creator

I’ve only built a Windows version because I don’t have access to a Mac.

If someone could help me packaging this plugin, that would be great.

This sounds great! Thanks for taking initiative!!

I downloaded the dll (and the other files) and placed the dll in the already existing folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X7\Plugins

and also in

localnetworkdrive\users\home\dijkva\Documents\EndNote\Plugins

but no menu entry appears in Endnote.

The latter location is the network replacement in Windows of the My Documents folder.

Can it be that the dll is 32 bit, whereas my machine is 64?

I have Windows-7.

How can I construct a dll on my machine? Do I need particular tools?

Instead of “<firstauthorsurname>YY”, I would prefer a label that is “<firstauthorsurname>_YYYY”.

Many of my labels already have this format, so having that template for the rest either would be convenient.

Where in the sources can I change this?

Or would it be an idea to make such small modifications optional in the tool itself?

Thanks!

Arjan

It should work on both. It worked for me when I installed it on my home machine with endnote x7 32 bit, it worked after I put it into C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X7\Plugins

If you want to build it yourself, you’ll need visual studio 2008, the endnote sdk, rapidxml in your build path, and c++ boost for vs2008.

I’ve updated the plugin to include a second menu item that does essentially the same thing, but inserts an underscore between the surname and short year. 

I can’t find out how to create a preference or a user input dialog within the endnote API to make this sort of templating smoother.

I copied the .dll to the Plugins folder for X9, the options showed up in the menu like a charm. When I click the options EndNote is closed. No labels or any other changes on reopening. How do we fix this? :slight_smile:

I copied the .dll to the Plugins folder for X9, the options showed up in the menu like a charm. When I click the options EndNote is closed. No labels or any other changes on reopening. How do we fix this?