Chemical Formula

Hi

Whenever I import a reference with a chemical formula it always changes the subscript and superscript. For example if the title has H2O in it, it will always be Imported as H2O. Although endnote does have subscript, in the edit reference bit, I still have to go into each reference and manually correct what it’s imported which is a real pain. Is there a way to correct this?

Cheers

Which version of the EndNote software do you have? Are you performing an online search in EndNote or importing a text file exported from an online database? What is the source database for the records with chemical formulas?

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

I am using online databases through my university to import references. Im commonly using databases such as the web of science, scifinder, science direct and various others.

Usually the files that are download into my endnote X5 are .ciw or .ris and in either case the chemical formulas end up with no superscript or subscript?

When you perform a direct export from an online database, there is no opportunity to specify the encoding of the text file. However, if you perform an import from the File menu, you can specify the Text Translation to match the encoding of the file you are attempting to import. Assuming the online database has properly encoded the text formatting, EndNote should be able to import the subscript or superscript text. If you can provide an example title you attempted to obtain from the Web of Science, I can offer some additional details.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com