I am finishing my master’s thesis in two weeks. I recently updated close to every citation in Endnote, but when I click “update citations and bibliography”, the citations does not change. I don’t want to manually delete and insert every citation that I have used in my document. Also, some citations I have changed or deleted sometimes change back to the outdated citation. It is really annoying, and I can’t seem to find the solution. Also, there is something called a travelling library and some citations is in this, and I have no idea why. Does anyone know how to update the citations in Word, so that they change to the way they are in the Endnote library?
Thanks in advance.
Please make a backup of the document then try the following steps which can be found on our website:
First, make a back-up of your document by saving it with a new name. Then unformat using the instructions for your versions of Word and EndNote:
Word 2013/2016 Win with EndNote X7: Go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
Word 2016 Mac with EndNote X7 and later: Go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Tools > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
Word 2010 with EndNote X4 and later or Word 2007 with Endnote X1 and later: Go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
Word 2007 with Endnote X and earlier: Go to the Add-Ins tab and choose the “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.
Word 2008/2011 with EndNote X5 and later: Go to the Tools Menu and select “EndNote > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.
Word X/2000/2002 (XP)/2003/2004/2008/2011: Go to the Tools Menu and select “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.
This should revert all the citations into the temporary citation format and remove the reference list from the end of the document. Then, format the document. EndNote will pick up the reference information from your open library or libraries, and the changes will be picked up.
I have the same problem, and unformatting/ reformatting does not update the references, they still contain the same errors, even though I have corrected the library and removed all duplicates. I know that the library is being used because I can see the citations used in the document grouped in endnote. If I look up the reference from Word it shows the correct information, but not in the refeences section.