Citing Asian References in Endnote X4

Hi all,

I’m working on some research that is going to involve perhaps a few dozen citations from Chinese publications. Here is an example of what I would like the citation to look like in the reference section:

Hwang Fung-Mey 黃芳玫 and Wu Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷. 2010. "Taiwan Guozhong Xuesheng Geren Tezhi, Jiating Beijing yu 

Xueye Chengji – Zhuicong Diaocha Ziliao zhi Yanjiu  台灣國中學生個人特質、家庭背景與學業成績—追從調查資料之

研究 [Individual Characteristics, Family Backgrounds, and Educational Outcomes of Taiwanese Junior High School

Students – Panel Data Analysis]. Jingji Lunwen Congkan 經濟論文叢刊 [Taiwan Economic Review] 38: 65-97.

Using Cite While You Write, I would like the in-text citation to read “(Hwang and Wu 2010).” The part that confuses me about this entry is that “Hwang” is the first author’s last name, and that name is always written first. Therefore, “Hwang, Fung-Mey 黃芳玫” would be an incorrect way to display the author’s name in the bibliography. I have two questions:

1. How do I get Endnote to recognize the first word in the author’s name as the last name of the author?

2. How do I get Endnote to do so for only the citations that I want it to, so that I could include these Chinese references and Western references in the same document?

Thanks, everyone, for your time!

Sincerely,

Richard

Not a complete solution, but one way to handle the names would be to enter them in EndNote as:

Hwang Fung-Mey 黃芳玫,

Wu Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷,

The comma at the end of the entry forces EndNote to treat each name as though it was a single multi-part surname (or like the name of an organisation, such as British Broadcasting Corporation). it sorts in alphabetical order, so would end up in the right position in the bibliography and with no unwanted commas or name reversal.

Unfortunately that still leaves the in-text citation looking like:

(Hwang Fung-Mey 黃芳玫 and Wu Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷, 2010)

But it seems to me that looks less odd than any of the possible alternatives

Ms. Rodd,

Thanks for the suggestion. That might be a good work-around for something like a class paper, but as this is a Ph.D. dissertation, I don’t think my advisor would go for my continuously using such long parenthetical citations. Imagine if I were to cite four or five sources regarding one statement towards the front of a literature review! The parenthetical citations would fill up much of the paragraph.

Just the same, I appreciate the tip. And if you or anyone else has any ideas, even a crazy one, I’d love to hear it!

Cheers,

Richard

Okay, here goes my solution. 

Okay, the short way, is to hide the author and type what you want to appear as a prefix to the citation. 

Here is the crazy long way:

Create a new Asian Reference type (edit, preferences, ref type, modify, - select one of the Unused, name it (asian) and put all the fields in as the reference type you are mimicking.  in this example, I was copying the Journal ref type.  If you are needing one for something with an Editor, then use the tertiary or even the translation author.  Best to use an “author” field as they have special capabilities, particularly intials order, etc.  (see image Asian-reftype).  Anyway, I left the first Author field to be used for the Citation (and this seems fixed, as I would rather have had it the otherway around).  Then the secondary author to Biblio-Author (I mispelled in the example, so sue me!)

Then edit your output style to use the Asian reftype.  Add it and copy the whole of the ref-type template in bibliography section you are mimicking and then change the Author there to Biblio-Author.  (see Asian-outputstyle.gif)

Now in the records that need it, you can globally move the Author field to the BiblioAuthor Field and manually type in or copy just the surname exactly as you want it to appear in the citation with that all important trailing comma if it is more than one word.  (see record.gif) If it is to contain commas, you should put two commas in your field. 

On a quick test, it worked, although the style I had chosen had different author specifications for the Editor (secondary field) so they must be the same to get it to work.  Mine had been set as initials first, while the author settings were initials last.  They would need to be the same, or all the other refs would look different in your bibliography. 

good luck and let us other users know if it works for you!

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for the hugely helpful suggestion! I also received this email from Thomson Technical Support, and here’s their suggestion below. I’m going to try to combine your (long-version) suggestion with theirs this evening, and I’ll let you know what transpires.

Cheers,

Richard

"Dear Richard,

Thank you for contacting Thomson Reuters Technical support.

Currently, EndNote styles do not have an option to format citations in two different formats. It cannot
differentiate Western references from Chinese references.

However, it is possible to manipulate EndNote to consider the first word in the author’s name as the last
name of the author for Chinese references. By default, in EndNote author names can be entered either with the
last name followed by a comma and the first name, or the first name followed by the last name. You may follow
this rule for Western References, however when entering Chinese references, reverse the rule.

For example: When inserting references, if the author name is John Smith, type it in the Endnote record so it
appears like this:

In  Western References:
John Smith
OR
Smith, John

In Chinese References:
Smith John
OR
John, Smith

This makes EndNote to consider Smith as the first name for these references. You would need to manually
change the author name format for all those references where you want EndNote to consider the first word in
the author’s name as the last name.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue. Also, provide
us with examples explaining how the references (both Western and Chinese) currently appear in the document
and how you want them to appear in the document.

(…)

Sincerely,
Sesha

Thomson Reuters

science.thomsonreuters.com/researchsoftware"

Hi all,

Here’s my update, I’ve got a solution.

EndNote Technical Support’s first suggestion seemed a little implausible, but at first I tried reversing the order for a name in the author field from “John Smith” to “Smith John.” Here is my formatting for the author field:

Fung-Mey 黃芳玫 Hwang

Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷 Wu

Using this approach yields the correct parenthetical citation: “(Hwang and Wu 2010).” But, the format of the entry in the bibliography is as follows:

Hwang, Fung-Mey 黃芳玫 and Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷 Wu. 2010. "Taiwan Guozhong Xuesheng Geren Texing, Jiating Beijing yu

Xueye Chengji – Zhuicong Diaocha Ziliao zhi Yanjiu 台灣國中學生個人特質、家庭背景與學業成績—追從調查資料之

研究 [Individual Characteristics, Family Backgrounds, and Educational Outscomes of Taiwanese Junior High School

Students – Panel Data Analysis]." Jingji Lunwen Congkan 經濟論文叢刊 (Taiwan Economic Review) 38:65-97.

Let’s assume that I didn’t want to include the Chinese characters along with the author names. I would still get “Hwang, Fung-Mei and Chyi-Yin Wu,” which is wrong because I am looking for “Hwang Fung-Mei and Wu Chyi-Yin.” So, Technical Support’s first suggestion is out, although I bet they would come up with a great solution if I were to write back to them.

But next, let’s try Leanne’s first suggestion: “hide the author and type what you want to appear as a prefix to the citation.”

Here is my formatting for the author field:

Hwang Fung-Mey 黃芳玫,

Wu Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷,

I follow Ms. Rodd’s suggestion, and treat the author like I would the name of a corporation. The formatting in the bibliography is now how I want it:

Hwang Fung-Mey 黃芳玫 and Wu Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷. 2010. "Taiwan Guozhong Xuesheng Geren Texing, Jiating Beijing yu

Xueye Chengji – Zhuicong Diaocha Ziliao zhi Yanjiu 台灣國中學生個人特質、家庭背景與學業成績—追從調查資料之

研究 [Individual Characteristics, Family Backgrounds, and Educational Outscomes of Taiwanese Junior High School

Students – Panel Data Analysis]." Jingji Lunwen Congkan 經濟論文叢刊 (Taiwan Economic Review) 38:65-97.

(I’m just writing out long titles with the Chinese characters, Romanization, and English translation in brackets in the title and journal fields, not using anything fancy such as the “translated title” field.)

The CWYW citation is now “(Hwang Fung-Mey 黃芳玫 and Wu Chyi-Yin 吳齊殷 2010." So I right-click on the citation, click “exclude author,” and type “Hwang and Wu” in as a prefix. My citation is now “(Hwang and Wu 2010),” which is what I want. It’s not the most elegant solution, but as long as the citation looks right, I’m happy. In retrospect it seems intuitive, but you know what they say about hindsight.

This workaround appears to do exactly what I wanted, so I think I’ll declare victory and stop here. But thank you just the same for the longer but perhaps more elegant idea, Leanne! I might try it for the next project, when the deadline isn’t so tight.

Cheers,

Richard

I am all for the simple solutions!