Citing in Word

Hi,

How can I use endnote to scan the whole document for the references  and then add them automatically at the end in bibliography.

I am using "cite as you write " option but we have to cite references one by one. Is there any way we can do all the references at once. Something like in reference manager.

For example,

Can Endnote scan the document  for the references in the following text and then automatically search from web (Pubmed, web of science etc.) and then append the bibliography at the end of the document. Here I have only two references but lets say we have to do the whole paper like this.

Thanks

Vineet Garg,

Translational Cancer Therapeutics Program

Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences

South Carolina College of Pharmacy

University of South Carolina

Kv7 Channels can be a potential target for drug treatment as evident from the studies. Celecoxib and its two structural analogues, unmethylated CXB and 2,5-dimethyl-CXB were shown to activate Kv7.2/7.3 channels expressed in HEK293 cells &nbsp;and the M-type current in dorsal root ganglia neurons. Simultaneously, a reduced inflammatory pain behavior was observed.Hence, the analgesic effects of the mentioned drugs may be acting through the Kv7 ion channels (Mi Y, 2013) .Another study shows that lower expression of&nbsp; Kv7 channels in the dorsal root Ganglia&nbsp; neurons plays an important role in the development of bone cancer pain (Zheng Q,2012)<!-- [if supportFields]&amp;gt;&amp;lt;span
style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:&amp;quot;Times New Roman&amp;quot;,&amp;quot;serif&amp;quot;;color:black;
background:white'&amp;gt;&amp;lt;span style='mso-element:field-begin'&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt; ADDIN EN.CITE &amp;amp;lt;EndNote&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;Cite&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;Author&amp;amp;gt;Zheng&amp;amp;lt;/Author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;Year&amp;amp;gt;2012&amp;amp;lt;/Year&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;RecNum&amp;amp;gt;6&amp;amp;lt;/RecNum&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;DisplayText&amp;amp;gt;[2]&amp;amp;lt;/DisplayText&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;record&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;rec-number&amp;amp;gt;6&amp;amp;lt;/rec-number&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;foreign-keys&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;key app=&amp;amp;quot;EN&amp;amp;quot; db-id=&amp;amp;quot;rrze9x95beddwse0dt45sdrvwdfra20vazsa&amp;amp;quot;&amp;amp;gt;6&amp;amp;lt;/key&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/foreign-keys&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;ref-type name=&amp;amp;quot;Journal Article&amp;amp;quot;&amp;amp;gt;17&amp;amp;lt;/ref-type&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;contributors&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;authors&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Zheng, Q.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Fang, D.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Liu, M.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Cai, J.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Wan, Y.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Han, J. S.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;author&amp;amp;gt;Xing, G. G.&amp;amp;lt;/author&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/authors&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/contributors&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;auth-address&amp;amp;gt;Neuroscience Research Institute and Department of Neurobiology, Peking University, Beijing, PR China.&amp;amp;lt;/auth-address&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;titles&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;title&amp;amp;gt;Suppression of KCNQ/M (Kv7) potassium channels in dorsal root ganglion neurons contributes to the development of bone cancer pain in a rat model&amp;amp;lt;/title&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;secondary-title&amp;amp;gt;Pain&amp;amp;lt;/secondary-title&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;alt-title&amp;amp;gt;Pain&amp;amp;lt;/alt-title&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/titles&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;periodical&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;full-title&amp;amp;gt;Pain&amp;amp;lt;/full-title&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;abbr-1&amp;amp;gt;Pain&amp;amp;lt;/abbr-1&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/periodical&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;alt-periodical&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;full-title&amp;amp;gt;Pain&amp;amp;lt;/full-title&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;abbr-1&amp;amp;gt;Pain&amp;amp;lt;/abbr-1&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/alt-periodical&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;dates&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;year&amp;amp;gt;2012&amp;amp;lt;/year&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;pub-dates&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;date&amp;amp;gt;Dec 20&amp;amp;lt;/date&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/pub-dates&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/dates&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;isbn&amp;amp;gt;1872-6623 (Electronic)&amp;amp;amp;#xD;0304-3959 (Linking)&amp;amp;lt;/isbn&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;accession-num&amp;amp;gt;23352759&amp;amp;lt;/accession-num&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;urls&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;related-urls&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;url&amp;amp;gt;http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23352759&amp;amp;lt;/url&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/related-urls&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/urls&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;electronic-resource-num&amp;amp;gt;10.1016/j.pain.2012.12.005&amp;amp;lt;/electronic-resource-num&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/record&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/Cite&amp;amp;gt;&amp;amp;lt;/EndNote&amp;amp;gt;&amp;lt;span
style='mso-element:field-separator'&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;&amp;lt;![endif] --> .  

No, this is not how Endnote (or Ref Manager, to my knowledge) work.  You need ot retrieve the papers, although you could retrieve all the papers by any authors on a topic, into your local library and then use that to add you citations as you write it.  (As in "Cite while you write).  How would Endnote know which Zheng, Q 2012 paper you wanted to cite?  247 come up in a search for that name, 24 or so which have Zheng as the first author. 

Endnote is not a software that scan your document and put the references to the end of your document.

First of all, you should wirte your pharagraph or sentence that you wawnt to cite. After this there are a few alternate to cite.

First,

find your your publication on web(in Springer, Scopus, Elsevier, IEEE etc. ). Click on export button and mark Endnote.

Reference info will come in to the Endnote. Click your cursor to the place that you want to put your reference in Word document end go back to the Endnote. And click on “Insert citation button”.

Second method,

you can search the publications from online search that you can see left side of Endnote window. Remain procedure is same with the first method after you find the publication. 

You should also watch the videos on tutuorial or youtube. They are so short and do not think it is waste of time. In 30min you can learn all features of the program with these videos.

You will see that is not difficult to use.

and those are listed in the Training Forum and a link to those are here.

Hello!

I wonder if I can cite a reference (founded by online searching of Endnote) in a Word document without importing it in my library. 

no, not automatically, but why would you want to do this?  The options should be greyed out in the “online” mode, unless you are referening to the cloud storage version of your library? 

No, I’m not referening to the cloud storage version of my library but I think that the operation that I was going to do is impossible.

I realized that to allow Endnote to insert the reference in my Word document is necessary that it is present in my library.

I’m sorry if I wasted your time but I’m neophyte of Endnote and I am going to go crazy.

Nevertheless thank you so much. :smiley:

Never a waste of time.  I love to answer questions and try to figure out a way to do something if it can be done!  I am a user who has used the program since it first came out, so I understand more of the bells and whistles than some of the TR employees! 

2 Likes