comparing libraries

Hi,

Just wondering has found a good way of comparing libraries? I’m working on a literature review with two colleagues. I have 1600 references and I need to read the abstracts and decide whether to include/exclude in the next stage of the review. I’ve been doing this with groups so far but we need to do some quality checks. This means giving 50% of the references to someone else and asking them to mark them as include or exclude and then comparing their decisions with mine. I will export the 50% and give them to my colleague to work on. But I need to give them instructions about how to mark each record as include/exclude. We’ve been wondering whether to use groups or whether to add a note in one of the fields for each reference. I’m not sure which is best and I guess is whether there is an automated way of doing this kind of comparison within endnote or whether I will have to manually compare our decisions.

Does anyone have experience of doing this kind of thing? any help much appreciated.

j

I can think of several approaches.  Here is one.  They can use a field to make their call, which can be converted to a smart group, so as they fill the field it will automatically be added to a group.  You can export the groups to a text file, (with a custom style to export just first author et al, and some key items, to distinguish the items in alpha order) and compare the two word documents using the compare and merge or side by side window comparison?

Message Edited by Leanne on 05-15-2009 11:28 AM

I can think of several approaches.  Here is one.  They can use a field to make their call, which can be converted to a smart group, so as they fill the field it will automatically be added to a group.  You can export the groups to a text file, (with a custom style to export just first author et al, and some key items, to distinguish the items in alpha order) and compare the two word documents using the compare and merge or side by side window comparison?

thanks Leanne.

I should have said that I am using EndNote X1 so no option of smart groups unf. But we could drag them into groups.

j

Okay, here is another way.  Give them a copy of the library, Have them delete the ones they don’t think are valuable.  You do the same.  Then import one into the other – exporting the duplicates in a separate library.  – Those are the records you agree on.