End Note Newspaper Citations

Hi there!

I’m writing a paper where i need to make a lot of newspaper citations. So far so good I’ve properly changed the reference type to what it should look like but now I crashed into another problem… Eventhough the References look good I dont have a clue how to change the In Text citations to follow the format described for American Antiquity:

3.4.15 Newspapers

(Weekly Missouri Courier [WMC], 7 July 1838:page numbers [if available])

Note: After first mention, simply use WMC with date and page.

I only can get the (Author:Year) type of in text citation… how do you change that? At the same time I’m supposed to cite also some journal articles and a couple books, is it possible to tell Endnote to make differente In text citations for different types of references? (I’m using Endnote X)

Any help will be greatly appreciated… thanks a lot

I only can get the (Author:Year) type of in text citation… how do you change that? At the same time I’m supposed to cite also some journal articles and a couple books, is it possible to tell Endnote to make differente In text citations for different types of references? (I’m using Endnote X)

Any changes made to a Reference Type requires you make corresponding changes to the Output Style. 

1. Go to the Endnote toolbar and select   EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, then the name of the style you’re using.

2. The style’s dialogue box will appear and in the left column under Bibliography, select TEMPLATES. 

3. You’ll see the various reference type output formats listed.  Scroll down the list to locate “Newspaper Article”.  

4. Adjust the fields as needed to conform to the desired format.  Close the dialogue box when completed.

Double-check the results by looking at the Preview section of your library - if you need to readjust the template repeat steps #1-4.

Eh, well thanks. Maybe i didnt make myself clear enough. I’ve already changed the Bibliography part succesfully and with no problem by following similar steps to what you suggest. The Bibliography is perfectly fine, it is the actual IN TEXT citations that I cannot figure out how to change… yes, there is a similar menu related to that but it doesnt matter what i do it doesnt change the citation… for example:

Sanchez R.

2003 Melomanos y el sano vicio de la musica. En La Epoca, 29/06/2003, pp A6-A7, La Paz

will be cited as:

blah blah blah (Sanchez:2003) blah blah

instead of (La Epoca, 29/06/2003:A6-A7)

it’s even worse if there is no author (as it commonly is the case of newspaper articles) where the only thing showed in the IN TEXT citation is a year. In that case the only thin i get IN TEXT is a year … as blah (2003) blah…

Sorry for misreading your paper … long night working on a long paper.

Have you tried manually editing the citation?  You’ll be able to remove the author and insert the newspaper’s title and other information as needed (using the “prefix” line).

Yeah, i’ve tried to do it manually, if it was just one or a couple references I wouldn’t have a problem with it but its something around 115. I assume that people cite newspapers every once in a while… hasn’t anyone find a way to “properly” do this using Endnote?

@machi wrote:
Yeah, i’ve tried to do it manually, if it was just one or a couple references I wouldn’t have a problem with it but its something around 115. I assume that people cite newspapers every once in a while… hasn’t anyone find a way to “properly” do this using Endnote?

“115” - man, that’s alot of citations.  You could try modifying the citation template but if you have other non-newspaper citations, changing the template to address the newspaper cites would probably affect the non-newspaper ones.

Doesn’t  the reporter ever get recognized? 

Ahh, http://www.saa.org/Portals/0/SAA/Publications/StyleGuide/styleguide.pdf  I see that in the reference list, the requirements are shown below —  which would suggest to me that the citation they describe applies to the nonauthored items, but that it would be sensible to treat authored items more like journals or books.  Otherwise, it would be very confusing matching the citation to the actual reference?  you might want to enquire before messing around with your styles and records to achieve something they don’t really want.  

3.9.12 Item in a newspaper

When nonauthored items appear:

Weekly Missouri Courier (WMC) [Palmyra, Missouri]

1838 [short description of what is being cited, e.g., “Advertisement placed by J. H. and A. A.Stirman.”] 7 July:[page numbers, if paginated]. Palmyra, Missouri.

When authored items appear:

Noble, John W.

2002 When Humans Became Human. New York Times 26 February:D1, D5. New York.

When you do get to the question of how to address nonauthored items, I think some of the anonymous settings might be what you want, although I don’t remember what is available in X in this regard.  There is this thread which discusses a bug - but might also have what you need.  Perhaps the bug didn’t exist in X (perhaps it has been fixed in X3, who knows!) 

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-general&message.id=1064&query.id=445492#M1064

You can also check out some of the other “newspaper” threads. 

Message Edited by Leanne on 10-28-2009 05:06 PM

The reason why this question doesn’t arise more often is that many style manuals follow the policy of the Chicago Manual of Style: “Unsigned newspaper articles or features are best dealt with in text or notes.” In other words, you give the citation in the text, but it doesn’t appear in the bibliography.

I know this doesn’t solve your problem. Sorry.

Thanks for everyones help. I checked a couple things about the requirements and I think it will be okay to use the Chicago style of citation, I mean citing the newspapers as a footnote.

In any case, I’m still curious about how to change the In Text citations in order to show what was asked for the American Antiquity style I mean to display Newspaper (space) Issuedate (space) instead of (Author:Year), im unable to find the Newspaper field in the dropdown list. 

Thanks again for everyones interest

It is not possible to change the citation template to be specific for one reference type.  The citation is set for all ref types, so specific fields in ref types are not available from the drop down. --just the generic field names.