Endnote Tab not Appearing (or Disappearing) in Word 2007

This is my first post on this forum and I eventually found the answer to my problem with the EndNote Tab dissappearing on Word 2007. I made my own bed of nails by trying out RefWorks while having EndNote installed and it removed my EndNote tab in the ribbon bar. No matter what I tried nothing seemed to work, I even made a number of Registry adjustments but to no avail.

Anyway, after a bit of googling, the librarian from Massey University (NZ) provided a very simple and effective answer to this annoying problem.- - a problem which I created myself, I should have tried RefWorks on a virtual image instead of my working image.

If the fix outlined on the EndNote FAQ does not fix this:
http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq45.asp#word2007

Try the following:

1. Click on the multicoloured round Office Button in Word and click Word Options
  2. Click on Add-ins
  3. Change the Manage options to Disabled Items
  4. Click Go
  5. Highlight any EndNote item(s) and click Enable
  6. Click OK

I did note with some interest that when I re-enabled EndNote and fired up Word 2007, that the RefWorks tab momentarily reappeared just before it reinstalled the EndNote tab; this was somewhat of a surprise considering that every reference to RefWorks had been ‘supposedly’ manually removed from Windows 7’s registry - or so I thought.

1 Like