Endnote X1 Slow Startup

I recently have been experiencing slow start-up with my installation of Endnote X1.

However I noticed that this problem was down to my computer’s network connection…So whenever I have my computer’s network connection disabled, Endnote starts’ up normally and very quickly. However when I have the network connection re-enabled endnote starts’ up very slowly and can take more than a 1min to load up.

My computer is an Intel Quad Core computer with 4GB RAM, so I ruled out hardware down to the slow-down and all other applications run normally. The Endnote connection and style folders are all located on my C: drive (locally) but “My Documents” folder is linked to a place on a network server, so this might be causing Endnote trying to look for a location on the server. However I have disconnected all mapped drives and reverted back “My Documents” folder back to a place on my C: drive and this does not seem to solve the issue.

I have also tried installing a demo version of Reference Manager 12 and it also experiences slow-down when the network connection is enabled.

Any suggestions why having the computer network enabled would slow-down Endnote would be great.

Thanks

Maybe because your preferences of custom styles, filter, and connection files are directed to network location?

It is definitely directing to default location on my C: drive.

While it wouldn’t explain the variation between network access and no network access, try paring down your output styles in the program/endnote/styles folder to a more relevant/select group. You can do the same with the connections and the filters folders, but it doesn’t seem to be as critical.  This simple step, drastically improves X1 speed and may help you in this situation.

Message Edited by Leanne on 10-09-2009 08:22 AM

I am afraid that clearing out the connections and filters folders does not improve the start-up speed. Only disabling the network connection improves the speed.

Is your endnote library files in My Documents? You mentioned your My Documents is linked to network location. What does that mean? Your entire My Documents is in the network or mapped to network? Endnote opens up default library files. So, test relocating your default library files, completely under local address, like C:

@myoshigi wrote:
Is your endnote library files in My Documents? You mentioned your My Documents is linked to network location. What does that mean? Your entire My Documents is in the network or mapped to network? Endnote opens up default library files. So, test relocating your default library files, completely under local address, like C:

I have some endnote files stored in the “My Documents” folder but I tend to work on my desktop and use the “My Documents” folder as storage.

The “My Documents” folder is located in a network location on a server, therefore it is not on my local C: drive but mapped to a network. I have tried relocating “My Documents” folder back to the C drive and this does not seem to work.

For the mean time, in order for me to load Endnote quickly I have to disconnect the network by using the following command in command prompt: “ipconfig /release” or I simply disconnect the network cable.