Environment Agency reference

I’m new to using EndNote, so this is probably quite a basin question, but basically I’m trying to reference a paper published by the Enviroment Agency in 2008.  So ideally I want the in text reference to look like (Environment Agency, 2008) and the bibliogaphic reference to look something like as follows:

Environment Agency (2008) Abandoned mines and the Water Environment. Bristol, Environment Agency.

However when I’ve input the information my reference looks as follows:

(Johnston et al., 2008)

JOHNSTON, D., POTTER, H. A. B., JONES, C., ROLLEY, S., WATSON, I. & PRITCHARD, J. (2008) Abandoned mines and the water environment. IN AGENCY, E. (Ed.). Bristol, Environment Agency.

I’m using the Harvard Style of reference and this particular entry was input as a Government Document.  My major gripes are that it is citing the Authors rather than the EA, and that its puttin “IN AGENCY, E. (Ed.)” when Environment Agency is the name of an organisation, rather than a person and therefore shouldn’t be abbreivated this way.

On a side note how do I ensure that the et al. included in the in main text are italicised, rather than appear as plain text and making them italic myself?

Many thanks,

Chris

cjms85 wrote:

…ideally I want the in text reference to look like (Environment Agency, 2008) and the bibliogaphic reference to look something like as follows:Environment Agency (2008) Abandoned mines and the Water Environment. Bristol, Environment Agency. However when I’ve input the information my reference looks as follows: (Johnst on et al., 2008)JOHNSTON, D., POTTER, H. A. B., JONES, C., ROLLEY, S., WATSON, I. & PRITCHARD, J. (2008) Abandoned mines and the water environment. IN AGENCY, E. (Ed.). Bristol, Environment Agency. I’m using the Harvard Style of reference and this particular entry was input as a Government Document.  My major gripes are that it is citing the Authors rather than the EA, and that its puttin “IN AGENCY, E. (Ed.)”  

This has everything to do with how the data is entered into the record (where the names vs where the agency is) and how the template is set up (if it is set up at all) for the reference type.  For Harvard, goverment document isn’t set up, so you need to fix that first. (see show fov ref type-preferences.gif attached).  It shows you what goes where in the document reference type. (you can see these and edit them via the edit>preferences>ref type options.   Since the names (authors) are in the primary author field, that is what is specificed by the ‘generic’ template in the output style .  so you want to add the Government Documents to the template (show gove ref type-template.gif).  You could also fix this by switching the reference type fields between the primary and secondary author field, or by specifying the secondary author (department) in the output style.  Since you need to edit the style anyway, that is how I would go. 

edit the output-style, and you will see that there are only the usual suspects for reference types defined, plus the “catch all the others” generic.  If you add ref type and click on gov docs, now a new template will be listed, but it is blank.  Copy the generic listings to the blank gov docs template and it will switch to the names shown in the ref-type-preferences gif.  Now move them around to get what you want.  I think that would be this, but you could delete Edition and city if they are never specified:

Department (Year) Title.| Edition ed|. City|, Publisher|.

See the third attachement (edit-output-style.gif) for the before and after.

cjms85 wrote: when Environment Agency is the name of an organisation, rather than a person and therefore shouldn’t be abbreivated this way. 

This one is easier.  put a comma at the end of the agency name in the record itself.   

cjms85 wrote: On a side note how do I ensure that the et al. included in the in main text are italicised, rather than appear as plain text and making them italic myself? 

This too is set in the output style settings.      Click on the Author lists (I ran out of attachments I could add) and tick the Itals boxes on the page. 

2 Likes

Thanks for the help Leanne, however I’ve encountered another problem that leads on from the first. 

When I cite the Environment Agency document in the main body of text, the citation still lists the Author (e.g. (Johnston et al., 2008)) rather than Environment Agency, but in the bibliography it now refers to the Environment Agency properly.  How do I go about resolving this? 

I’ve had a look at Edit > Output Styles > Harvard > Citations > Templates, as I thought this would be the logical place to change the format, but you can’t seem to specify an in text citation type for a specific type of document i.e. (Author, Year) for Journal type documents and (Government Department, Year) for Government Documents.

That change goes in the Citation template.  Replace Author with Department there too. 

But there is only 1 field under the Citation Template, so if I replace Author with Department, that will mean my other in text citations will have no listed Department, but only a year?

Is there anyway to create multiple fields like you can for Bibliography > Citations, so you can specify the appropriate Author source for a certain type of reference?

whooops, :cry: (where is the embarrassed smiley) you are absolutely correct… no, there is no option to change just one reference type in citations. How many of these to you have?  If just a few, I would switch the names with the Department and change the style back to Authors, rather than Department.  Sorry, for steering you wrong in the first place.

If a lot, you can select those references, so that only they are showing and then move the Authors to an unused field, and then move the department to authors.  The change and move field option is under Tools at least in recent versions of EndNote.