I am trying to export an endnote library (X7) to excel and am finding that each time I do so 36 out of 1462 references in the library do not appear in the excel sheet.
I have created a tab delimited file, and output style to show only the fields I require (separated by tabs). I have also replaced all the carriage returns with slashes (ie ’ / ’ ) to avoid the earlier problem of the references being split across mulitple lines. My references now all appear as they should on one line per reference with the correct fields shown however some (36 references) are missing. As the reference numbers are not consecutive I have no way of easily identifying which references are missing. I have spent forever trying to resolve this problem. Any advice on how to fix this problem would be very much appreciated.
You might try the following to troubleshoot and try to identify the missing 36 references:
- Pre-sort your 1462 references by author.
- Create a new endnote library and copy the 1462 references into the new library. The copied references will be assigned new record numbers in sequential order and the references will be in alpha order by author last name.
- Modify your delimited output style to include the record number and reference type. Now export the 1462 references. Since both the record number and reference type is included in the export it should be somewhat easier to identify what’s missing.
Also note that the tab delimited output style doesn’t appear to have been updated to include the following fields: DOI, Added to Library, and Last Updated. Check that your style includes the 3 missing fields.
My solution would be to include the record number in your output style and have it sort by record number? In the output style, put the record number in the Layout “start reference with” followed by tab, and in the bibliography sort – sort by “other” Record Number.
Export and include the record number in your excel spread sheet too?
I had exactly the same problem. I did the record number suggestion but it is not working because it appears in Excel with the actual record number of the database (eg. 253200). How can I ranked them 1-900 so I don’t miss any ref?
Not sure what you mean by “record number of the database”?
You can copy the record number to a new field and export that to your excel spread sheet?
I did the record number suggestion but it is not working because it appears in Excel with the actual record number of the database (eg. 253200). How can I ranked them 1-900 so I don’t miss any ref?
The database record number is likely not the Endnote record number but from a different Endnote field. Since the Endnote record number is not included in the Tab Delimited output style file it would need to be added in order to export the field data.
A modified Tab Delimited output style file is attached for your reference/use which includes three additional fields: record number, reference type, and DOI. (Refer to attached image and output style.)
Additional suggestion for facilitating sequential numbering of your Endnote records is to:
- Pre-sort your 900 references by author.
- Create a new Endnote library and copy the 900 references into the new library. The copied references will be assigned new record numbers in sequential order and the references will be in alpha order by author last name.
- Use the modified Tab Delimited output style file which includes the record number, reference type, and DOI fields. Since both the record number and reference type is included in the export it should assist with record verification.
Tab Delimited_Psicor.ens (16.2 KB)
I’ve just had this same issue. Some records in Endnote might not have the fields you’ve placed in the output style citation template e.g. journal. Seven of my records were labelled as ‘book chapters’ and I had specified my template under journal articles only. To resolve the issue I had to put the template in the Generic section too (before it was only under journal articles).
I realise this is a long time since the originial post but this seemed to be the only discussion online about this so hopefully it will help someone else!
Also similar to the other responses, having record number in the output style field is really important to make sure if any issue like this happen you can find the missing references!
I’ve just had the same issue and luckily a colleague identified the solution! Some records in Endnote will have missing/different information for fields you specify in your output style bibliography template. For example, if you choose to have record#, authors, year, title, abstract in your template field under ‘journal articles’ - any records labelled as ‘book chapters’ in Endnote will not be exported. To resolve the issue put your specified fields (e.g. record#, authors etc.) under the subheading ‘Generic’ not ‘journal articles’ only. If there are still missing refs then try putting in a few more fields till you get your expected number of records in Excel, you can always delete unwanted fields in Excel.
I realise this is a long time since the first post but when I searched for the same issue this was the only disucssion point for this I could find so hopefully this response will help someone else.
It worked perfectly and solved my issue!
I’m so glad and relieved!