Hanging indent not working

I have been trying to apply a hanging indent to my references using the Format Bibliography/ Layout tab. However no matter what I set the  hanging  indent to nothing changes, yet the first line indent option works?

I am using X2 with Word 07,

Thanks Mark

@deepblue wrote:

I have been trying to apply a hanging indent to my references using the Format Bibliography/ Layout tab. However no matter what I set the  hanging  indent to nothing changes, yet the first line indent option works?

I am using X2 with Word 07,

Thanks Mark

It sounds like you’ve been adjusting the settings in MS Word but check instead Endnote’s  Bibliography/Layout settings:

1. Go to the Endnote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, then EDIT/name of style. This will display the output style’s options.

2. In the left column scroll down to “Bibliography” then select LAYOUT.

3. Check the bottom of the Layout window for the “Hanging Indent” setting - it should be set to “All paragraphs”.  (This will insert a command to create a hanging indent at the beginning of each new reference.)

4. Close the dialogue box.

1 Like

Hey CrazyGecko,

Thanks for that, I had been trying through the format bibliography button in endnote but didn’t know about the one you directed me to, which was set to “none”

Regards

Mark

Excellent answer Crazy Gecko. You solved my problems completely. Kudos.

Thank you!  I had been trying to go through endnote’s format bibliography -> layout -> hanging indent selection and it would only apply to random refrences in my word document, but didnt think to try it through the specifc refrence style.  Your solution worked flawlessly and saved me a bunch of time on my thesis.  Thanks CrazyGeko!