How to add short title to electronic book

I am using the Turabian template in X5 and I have cited to an electronic book. I need to use a short title in a footnote far removed from the original reference. I have some journal articles by this same author, so I need a short title for the book, but the template doesn’t have a place to put a short title like it has for a regular book. Is it possible to modify the template for electronic books so that it will use a short title in the appropriate place like it does for a regular book? Thanks.

You’ll need to do two things: 1) Modify the Electronic Book reference template; and 2) Modify the Turabian output style Electronic Book footnote template.

1. To modify the Electronic Book reference template, go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, PREFERENCES - which will cause the “EndNote Preferences” dialog box to appear. 

a.  In the dialog box, locate and click on “Reference Types” then click the “Modify Reference Types” button. 

b. In the “Modify Reference Templates” dialog box, click the pull-down menu to locate and select “Electronic Book”. Then in the Electronic Book template, scroll down the list of fields until you reach Short Title then type in the field name (Short Title) into the adjacent blank space to activate the field (see image).

c. Click OK to close the Modify Reference Types dialog box. Click OK to close the EndNote Preferences dialog box.

1. To modify the Electronic Book output style’s footnote template go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT Turabian Bibliography.

a. In the left column of the Turabian Bibliography dialog box locate “Footnotes” then click just below to select: Templates.

b. In the right-column, scroll down the list of footnote templates until you reach “Electronic Book - Short form”.  Enter the field name “Short Title” after the Author field name.

c. Close the Turabian style to save changes to the template. Note that changes are saved as a “Copy” (Turabian Bibliography Copy) so adjust EndNote and MS Word to use the output style copy instead of the original Turabian Bibliography file.

Thank you very much.

You’re welcome.  Also just a reminder that when modifying the reference templates, make a backup copy of the changes so in the future if there’s a mishap you’ll be able to re-establish those changes.

To make a backup file (.xml) of the Reference Types templates, go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, PREFERENCES which causes the “EndNote Preferences” dialog box to appear.  In the left column locate and click on “Reference Types” then on the right, locate the “Reference Type Table” section then click on the EXPORT button.

(Speaking of backups it also helps to backup your Turabian output style once any modifications are made.)