How to check all references

1.  Is there a way of checking whether all references in an existing document (now almost complete thesis) appear in the bibliography?

2.  Are references entered using the previous program (Endnote 2) automatically linked into Endnote XI, or only the ones since the new software installed?

Thank you

Nirmal

Endnote 2?  really?  Don’t know…that is going way back in history.  Due to the various evolutions over the years, in the way that Endnote and Microsoft word work, I would recommend try to unformat the references on a copy of the manucript. Can you unformat the references to return them to the curley or square bracketed format?  If so, then refomating with a copy of the library that has all the references should work.  I know that without the unformat/reformat steps, it is unlikely that the bibliography is being correctly updated. 

Thank you Leanne. Much appreciated!!!

Hi @Leanne, would you know how to do this in EndNote X9 ?
I would like to check that all my citations are in the references lists (bibliography) at the end. And vice versa, I would also like to check that all the references are cited. How to do this quickly ? Many thanks

Well, if Endnote can’t find a cited record in your library, (or the document’s traveling library) it will stop and ask you for it. I don’t really envision anyway, you wouldn’t find all the cited references in the bibliography at the end?

To see if there are cites in the paper that are not in the library but in the traveling library, you can first make a copy of the document (for safe keeping) and then “convert citations and Bibliography” > convert to unformatted citations" – All your citations should become {author, year #recno} then Update Citations and Bibliography" and it should stop and ask for a citation not in your current open library (if you deleted a record, or if someone else inserted a record from a different library, for example). That doesn’t mean the original document didn’t have it in the bibliography though. That is exactly what the “traveling library” feature is for! to keep those “external” citations with the paper.