Incorrect intext citation

Hi I have been trying to add intext citations to my Word article but whenever I select the citation through End note dialogue box, a completely different citation appears in the text. For example if I select Little, CL 2012 in the dialogue box, some other citation like Surak J 2006 would appear in the text. Edit citation dialogue box shows that the corrected citation (Little 2012) is selected but its preview intext citation written above it on the left is from some other reference (Surak, 2006). Have a look at the attached screenshot please.

How can I fix this issue? I am stuck :confused:

@sfatimas wrote:

Hi I have been trying to add intext citations to my Word article …

From your screenshot it looks like you’re trying to edit citations instead of insert citations. If you’re adding intext citations, you should use the “Insert Citation” or “Insert Citations” feature. (See attached image.) If you’re adding citations to a pre-existing group of intext citations, place your cursor on the group of citations to select them then click the"Iert Citation" or “Insert Citations” feature. (Note: If you’re editing a group intext citations, place your cursor on the group of citations to select them before using the edit citation feature.)

insert citation.gif

By far, my prefered method of inserting citations is to go to Endnote and find the correct  citation in the library (and using search is far better than the more generic find citation method). and then using the little icon highlighted in the screenshot, or Control+C and then in the document, control+V to insert it.  

One of my colleagues had copied and pasted a paragraph for a paper from about 6 months ago, associated with a different library and somehow the formated citation had three citations linked to it although it only had one in the “formated” version of the in text citation.  I don’t know how that happened either, but maybe that is the cause of what you are seeing? 

Savest for a while to leave the citations as unformated citations {Author, year #RecNo} and then you know exactly what you have, but it needs the record number to make it unique.