Insert 'et al' into in-text citations on word.

Hello,

I am currently using endnote x9 and Word from microsoft office 365 proplus. I have been trying to get word to insert et al. into an in-text citation when there are 2 or more authors from the first instance and i so far have had no luck. It seems as though even though i am making the changes on endnote and saving them as a different name and selecting the right referencing style on both endnote and word. These changes don’t seem to be translating.

I need my references to look like this for example, (Barclay _et al., _2006) or Barclay et al. (2006) however, no matter which style that i select when inserting it is coming out as (Barclay, 2006) or listing all surnames before the date.

I have checked help guides and this forum and i think i am doing everything correctly. I have also tried editing the output styles for my university’s specific referncing style, harvard and APA 6th and the same things are happening every time. 

I have tried:

Edit > Output styles > Edit “Harvard” > Citations >Author Lists

Abbreviated author list - first appearance: if 3 or more authors, list the first 1 and abbreviate with et al in italics is ticked

Abbreviated author list - subsequent appearance: if 2 or more authors, list the first 1 and abbreviate with et al in italics is ticked 

I have also done the same for the bibliograpy section and it is doing the same. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am so close to giving up and citing/referencing everything  manually as i’m currently writing my dissertation!

Thanks!

1 Like

replied in Endnote General – please don’t double post.