3 or more authors, still get first two cited, then et al.

Using X3 for Mac with Word 2008. Cannot get Endnote to execute the settings I entered in the output styles editor for citations in the text I have entered so that when I have 3 or more authors, I get the <first author> et al. Instead, I always get the first two authors followed by et al.

I see there is another thread here where the same problem was solved, but that solution doesn’t work for me. Anything else I can try?  

Please attach the style you are using. 

Attached is the style I was working with Australasian Plant Pathology. Think I may have it. Edit/Output styles/Edit"<style>"/Citations/author lists/abbreviated author list/>first appearance, If 2 or more authors, list the first 2 authors.

Entering 3 and 1 before, instead of the 2 and 2, respectively, did not work.

Thanks for your reply. I have just begun working with Endnote in a real way, so I have lots of other questions too, such as in another style how do I get rid of the issue number, e.g., make 50(2):210-215 be simply 50:210-215 (that style also attached).  

Phytopathology.ens (13.6 KB)

Uploading a second style effaced the first style I referred to, so attached

Australasian Plant Path.ens (17.6 KB)

@hatuxka wrote:

Attached is the style I was working with Australasian Plant Pathology. Think I may have it. Edit/Output styles/Edit"<style>"/Citations/author lists/abbreviated author list/>first appearance, If 2 or more authors, list the first 2 authors.

Entering 3 and 1 before, instead of the 2 and 2, respectively, did not work.

You would want the 3 or more, replace with 1.  Right now it says 4 and 1, so 3 and 1 should work (as in attached), and does for me giving me this:

These are the intext citations (Asano et al. 2010; Liedtke and Cleary 2009; Zuber et al. 2009).

References

Asano, H., G. Yamamoto, M. Hosoi, T. Takahashi, A. Hangaishi, and M. Kurokawa. 2010. Complete molecular remission in refractory acute myeloid leukemia with MLL/AF9 treated with gemtuzumab ozogamicin. Leuk Res

Liedtke, M., and M. L. Cleary. 2009. Therapeutic targeting of MLL. Blood 113 (24):6061-8. 

Zuber, J., I. Radtke, T. S. Pardee, Z. Zhao, A. R. Rappaport, W. Luo, M. E. McCurrach, M. M. Yang, M. E. Dolan, S. C. Kogan, J. R. Downing, and S. W. Lowe. 2009. Mouse models of human AML accurately predict chemotherapy response. Genes Dev 23 (7):877-89. 

If it doesn’t work, I would look again carefully at the way your authors are entered into your library.  If they are not one to a line, it doesn’t work properly. 

Also ensure that you are using the edited version of the style (which should be renamed) and that it is not still using the unedited version?  If you open the attached, and save as, to a new name, then browse for that style in the refomat bibliography menu. (BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THAT BEFORE PASTING IN THE ABOVE EXAMPLE – corrected in edit.) 

Message Edited by Leanne on 02-25-2010 04:35 PM
Phytopathology[3-1].ens (16.9 KB)

@hatuxka wrote:

another style how do I get rid of the issue number, e.g., make 50(2):210-215 be simply 50:210-215 (that style also attached).  

Okay, I mixed up what you wanted on which one.  In this one, I fixed the citation to 3 and 1 and removed the issue for both… but if that is incorrect let me know. 

Australasian%20Plant%20Path[Corrected].ens (16.3 KB)
Phytopathology[3-1].ens (16.7 KB)

2 Likes

Beautiful. Thanks for dealing with both these issues!