Library Export/import with multi-person reference entry

I am currently on Endnote Version 9.  I’m in medical communications and maintain multiple libraries based on therapeutic area. 

I work with freelance writers who want access to our libraries (1 at a time) to be able to cite-while-you-write, but my concern is that allowing someone free access to my libraries inhibits my control over the accuracy of the content placed in them.  But also, what would be the easiest/safest way to getting a library to them and returned to me?

Thanks for any guidance.

Firstly, if they are accessing it from a shared network drive, you can allow them access, but read-only.  this has the advantage that multiple individuals can use the library at the same time.  Then you could have Read-Write access to the same library (although they would not be able to open it when you had it open) or a separate copy which would you could manually or get a script written to regularly replace the read only copy, say at 2 in the morning each day?

The writer is not in-house and does not have access to our network, so either the library file would have to be emailed or extranetted.  The writer is also seeking writing access.  She initially writes the manuscript, either ulitizing existing citations in the library, or requesting new articles be ordered and I include the citations in the library through “direct connect to PubMed”.  The manuscript then comes to me and I route through a review process.  It may go back to the writer at some point, so I would need to send her the updated library (if I made changes).

What I’m thinking is going to be a problem is if she were to generate her own library, then when I import it into mine (after checking accuracy of her data), that the unique identifying numbers that Endnote assigns would get messed up.

We have two writers who would prefer to use cite-while-you-write feature but I want to make sure I know what the software is going to do with this type of application.

If you import from the same sources, you can use the Page numbers rather than record numbers for CWYW (other options are Label and Accession number).  This is changed on each computer, via the edit preferences>temporary citations setting.  Then as long as you get the new references you can use your library even though they have different record numbers, and either database will work to format them. 

If the operating systems and versions of word are the same you can share the formated paper and don’t need the library, but it is at risk of corruption, just because the fields are so complicated. 

If you are going to send the library, Endnote X3 gives you the option of sending only part of the library, and sending  it with or without attached files. 

Finally, I don’t use Endnote Web, but that is packaged with Endnote X2 and X3, and you can share libraries on the web.  To explore that option, you might want to jump to the endnote web forums and ask how it works for collaborators? 

@maries2dogs wrote:

What I’m thinking is going to be a problem is if she were to generate her own library, then when I import it into mine (after checking accuracy of her data), that the unique identifying numbers that Endnote assigns would get messed up.

I will look into your suggestions re: options for record numbering, etc…  I’ll also check their version of Word.  I’ll be back if I hit any snags.  Thanks!