Merge two Endnote Web Accounts / Libraries

Hey! 

I have two bosses, and they each have their own endnote web - account. Now it is my task to merge these two accounts - and I am struggling to do so. I have found a lot on merging Endnote Desktop Versions, X7 and such, but the advice seems to be unusable when it comes to the webbased Endnote. At least it is for me. 

Anyone know anything about that? Both libraries have more than 1000 references, so doing it manually isnt really an option…and i wouldnt know how to do it with copy paste. 

I was able to get a compressed version .enlx of one of the libraries - but endnote web doesnt import it. 

Many thanks in advance 

Jhk

Do all parties (Boss A, Boss B, you) have Endnote X7 (desktop version)? And is your Endnote online account independent from your boss (A or B)?

If you have the desktop version of Endnote and have set up Endnote to synchronize your/your boss data with your Endnote online account*, you could: 1) combine the libraries from Boss A and Boss B into a single library (by having both libraries and copying the entries from one library into the other); then 2) sync the combined Endnote library to the Endnote account and share the library with Boss A and/or B.The two bosses could download the library from there Endnote online account to their desktop providing they have the desktop version of Endnote X7.

Go to the Endnote website which has a video providing an overview on library sharing and refer to the video tutorial on syncing.

*Go to the Endnote’s toolbar and select Edit > Preferences then click the “Sync” option.

Hey, 

thanks for the  attempt, but sadly neither of them have the desktop version.

Does that imply there is no way of combining two web based endnote-web-libraries from two users? It seems childishly easy to share them once everyone has the activated/purchased version - but before that it wont work? 

JHK

Once ?  – then you might consider downloading the trial version of endnote, merging them in the desktop.  I am just not sure the trial version can upload them again to a new account, for an online version?  You might need to investigate that first.  

@jhk wrote:

Does that imply there is no way of combining two web based endnote-web-libraries from two users? It seems childishly easy to share them once everyone has the activated/purchased version - but before that it wont work? 

Possibly. However, if all three users (you, Boss A, Boss B) have access only to Endnote Basic/Online could you check to confirm whether the “Import References” function is accessible and operational (refer to image #1). If so you should be able to import the Endnote library references from one boss into the other boss’s library.

Before starting make backup copies of the two libraries and you might try testing the export/import function using a small number of records. The procedure would be to:

1. Export the library references from Boss A’s Endnote online account as a “tab delimited file” (refer to image #2). Save the file to the desktop then either email or copy the tab delimited file to a portable medium (e.g., CD, flash drive, memory card). 
  2. Take the tab delimited file to Boss B’s computer then import the file into Boss B’s Endnote online account.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 using an exported tab delimited file from Boss B then importing it into Boss A’s Endnote online account.