MLA Style

Hi!

I have a problem with citing a book from a series. In the MLA Handbook, 7th ed, it says: “a citation from a book in a series should include the series name, neither italicized nor enclosed in quotation marks, and the series number (if any), followed by a period, at the end of the listing, after the medium of publication.”

Endnote, however, cites it like this: 

Author. Title. Original Publication. Trans. Translator|.  Series Title |. Ed.^Eds. Series Editor|. Edition ed|. Vol. Volume|. Number of Volumes vols|. Place Published|: Publisher, Year|. Print|.

Is there a way to fix this without having to change every single reference type?

Thanks!

Tobias

Yes, edit the output style, bibliography template for the book (or is this in the book chapter) so the title isn’t bold and move it to the end, retaining the whole of the 

|.*Series Title|  (where the * is the “link adjacent” symbol that is a tiny diamond shape)

and make sure there is still a . at the end.  

You can also attach the current version you are using (is it the out of the box MLA?) and someone here can give you a hand accomplishing this.  

Thanks Leanne!

I actually know how to edit the style, I’m just wondering why the Endnote MLA style doesn’t confirm to the version from handbook 7. There’s a number of people working on the same database here and it’s a little clumsy to have to create an individual output style yet again. 

Best,

Tobias

Probably because no one pointed out the error of their ways!  – I mean the error in the style.  

You can do so by following this recommendation.  Then a corrected MLA output style will find its way into their collection.  

If an Output Style is missing or needs updating to match the publisher requirements, you can submit a request through our EndNote Request Form:

http://endnote.com/info/output-style-request