more suggestions

Since I am waiting full of expectation the coming up of X3 this year there are some suggestions (additional to the topics mentioned in this forum already):

• being able to customize (move / remove) the icons on the toolbar (e.g. show groups, open preferences menu,…) - like the firefox toolbar

• being able to perform a duplicate check in the field accession number

• being able to customize the reference list pane to display as many fields as I like, to insert columns and (most important) to change the order per drag & drop - just have a look at the Reference Manager:-)

• an additional field e.g “link to pdf” or being able to write directly a hyperlink into the field “file attachments”. So many times I have additional documents archieved on the ftp server I don´t want to cite in my document (so I can´t write the link into the URL field) but would like to access through endnote.

• Endnote X3 needs to become faster again (at the moment it takes “hours” just to open the style or filter menu). I am still used to the speed of Endnote X1!

• Last but not least: gathering information from a webpage automatically - Wizfolio and Refworks offer this feature

Thanks a lot so far

@elha wrote:

• an additional field e.g “link to pdf” or being able to write directly a hyperlink into the field “file attachments”. So many times I have additional documents archieved on the ftp server I don´t want to cite in my document (so I can´t write the link into the URL field) but would like to access through endnote.

I’m bringing this up, because there seems to be a lot of requests regarding how PDF attachment is handled. Particulary, people want “batch” processing for path links to pdf attachments. It is absolutely necessary to have a capacity to show path names and edit them, instead of showing just icons. Maybe toggling the display pattern is a good way.

“Show all fields” can display the path link to the attachment. Why we can’t directly edit?

@myoshigi wrote:

It is absolutely necessary to have a capacity to show path names and edit them, instead of showing just icons. Maybe toggling the display pattern is a good way. ‘Show all fields’ can display the path link to the attachment. Why we can’t directly edit?

Thanks to myoshigi for the sensible comments!!! Having used EN for more than a decade, I like it to work MY way, not vice versa. The new way of handling File Attachments is too limited. Please bring back the function of displaying the path and enabling it to be edited. Use a toggle between icon and path as text if you like. I can see the path in Preview and can select it (using a customised Style) and copy it (“file://E:/References/a/Abdel-faba_bean.pdf”), but I can’t paste it into the File Attachments field. I can paste it into URL, but that’s not where I want it.

Previously, with auto-completion set for that field, I used to be able to type “f” and the last item entered would appear and I could easily change the folder and file name to suit, while leaving “file://E:/References/” untouched. I could move the file from my desktop later to it’s correct home location, perhaps moving many files at once to save time. So simple!! I could also type in paths in EN when at home, knowing that tomorrow at work I can put the file in it’s home, copy the new version of my ENL over the old and everything would be fine

Now, I need to wait until tomorrow at work, renew the ENL version, move the file to it’s future home and then drag it into the field. Too slow, very unsophisticated.

Please, EN developers, bring back a simple toggle to display the path (and have it editable of course), even if the icon view is default for the non-power users. I have seriously contemplated reverting to EN9 or which ever version last had editable paths displayed for File Attachments.

Cheers

Paul

1 Like

With EndNote X2, it is possible to use almost any field for additional file and web links that are automatically hot linked and editable. See the attached screen shot.

Does this not meet the basic need described in these comments?

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

@jasonr wrote:

With EndNote X2, it is possible to use almost any field for additional file and web links that are automatically hot linked and editable. See the attached screen shot.

Does this not meet the basic need described in these comments?

Thanks the quick response, Jason.

“almost any field” … except the most obvious and useful one (apart from URL)? You seem to be saying that File Attachments is redundant and there are better (more functional) options that are less obvious to the user.

To implement your suggestion in need to:

* move all data in File Attachment to the new field (back-up first of course)  …aaaahh Hang on  … File Attachments does not appear to be listed under Tools > Move Fields?? What?? (It is under listed Edit > Preferences > Modify Reference Type, between URL and Author Address). So I can’t even access my File Attachement paths in a batch???

If I could procede, I would also need to:

* revise my custom style (a modified ‘view all’) for all ref types to make my “File: E:\Refs…” come from the new field not File Attachments

* change my customised settings for which fields are displayed for all ref types that I use, from File Attachment to ‘New Field’

That is onerous and error prone. Please just fix the problem that EN has created by removing important functionality in File Attachment.

And, specifically, why is File Attachment not listed in Tools >Move Fields??? I was almost falling for you plan, but it now seems impossible to implement. All suggestions gratefully received.

Yours in confusion,

Paul

P.S. I use EN X2.0.1 and my ENL has 6603 records added over the past 12 years. Most have attachments.

I think I wrote somewhere, but the point is the inability to copy/move the link information (path) in the File Attachment field. Yes, PaulK is right. Copy/Move field doesn’t show the File Attachment field as an option. Maybe that’s because target field is unable to display icon.

By the way, the path in the File Attachment field can be edited by Change Text function. So, batch processing is possible and I found that seems working. But, in the case you have multiple attachments, I don’t know. So, please take my words with caution. I’m not a big fan of File Attachment field.

Even batch processing is possible, the path to the File Attachment field can not be edited manually, which is a limitation for me. It will be convenient if we want to attach multiple figures (like Fig1.jpg to Fig5.jpb), attach the first one, and then duplicate it, and change the figure number in the file name. That’ll be easy. That’s why I say File Attachment field should be edited by text level.

With all these reasons, I still use URL as my primary “attachement” field. If somebody attached thousands already to File Attachment field, and want to edit the path (like PaulK), that’s a big problem.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 03-11-2009 09:26 PM

Per: “And, specifically, why is File Attachment not listed in Tools >Move Fields??? I was almost falling for you plan, but it now seems impossible to implement. All suggestions gratefully received.”

Would adding the “File Attachments” field to the “Find and Move fields” function solve the challenge that most of you are having?

Keep in mind that these changes could not be undone and could potentially result in deleting many files from the File Attachments field. Protecting customers from doing this accidentally is actually the reason that we currently exclude “File Attachments” from “Find and Move fields.”

The reason that a change of this type could not be “undone” is that it would simply be way too much information for EndNote to keep track of on the fly - potentially thousands and thousands of fields of data.

I understand the developer’s concern, and it soulds reasonable to me, regarding to the protection for most users. If I overwrite File Attachment field by Author field by mistake, the result will be devastating. Even all these PDF files are in .data folder, all the path links will be lost. But then why “Change Text” command has File Attachment??

Anyway, for the “security” reason, when I use Chage & Move field command, I have to be extremely careful such that I don’t accidentally overwrite my URL field. But, that’s pretty much the same with other field as well. What I mean is, if I overwrite my title filed by something else for ~6000 entries, the result is equally devastating as losing File Attachment path links. Why developer want to protect user’s File Attachment only? You know, users need to take care back up business such that the loss of data or corruption results in minimal impact. If I lose my data entirely due to the lack of back up, that’s my fault, right?

Personally, I do not need File Attachment in the Change & Move menu because I don’t use it at all. But if somebody wants to “move out” from File Attachment and stop using it, Change & Move menu needs to have the File Attachment. For these people who use File Attachment, ability to edit the path link to the attachment would be a nice feature. That’s what I am talking.

As for: “But then why “Change Text” command has File Attachment??” - this is a valid point - it would be much more consistent if “File Attachments” was an option in both or neither.

Of course - always backup files - especially before making a substantial change like moving/changing thousands of fields in a database.

Thanks, Jason.

So, if you would consider including “ability to edit path links directly in the file attachment field” in the agenda of the future version development, some users may appreciate.

Best regards,

Thanks to Jason and myoshigi.

The issue is being skirted around … I have used a function for seveal years in EN and now it is gone. It is a significant handicap.

Your reasoning is full of holes. myoshigi is more polite and patient than me, but has pointed out one such hole. S/he has shown that the ‘safety’ principle you cite is not even implemented consistently. Every field is precious, especially when one has 6000+ records. There is no rational reason for singling out FA.

You ask “Would adding the “File Attachments” field to the “Find and Move fields” function solve the challenge that most of you are having?”. The short answer is “Yes, please”. The longer answer is that I was **only** trying to do it in response to your earlier posting that I should use an alternative, editable field. But that entails moving my current data out of the crippled File Attachment (FA) field. So the question is redundant; I would not be bothering if FA was directly editable

The simple end question was answered, but not my other point that the suggested process is “onerous and error prone”. The simple answer would seem to be to make life easier for users by making FA directly editable, not requiring them to reconfigure their preferences, styles and workflow and risk moving important fields around.

Please note it down as a bug and fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time, Paul

This is not a matter of a bug fix. EndNote is working as designed for most users; File Attachments go to the File Attachments Field - whether added manually or using Find Full Text. For most convenience/portability, the relative path in the EndNote .data folder option should be used.

Clearly this does not support every desired workflow so we will consider adding some more direct editing / moving options for file attachment paths.

Thanks for all of the input.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for agreeing to “consider adding some more direct editing / moving options for file attachment paths”.

I consider it a bug that I can’t access my precious File Attachement field, while EN continues to promote it as a standard option! Call it poor design then (*and* the inconsistency with Change Text and Change/Move field).

“EndNote is working as designed for most users”. In regard to File Attachment, which is what we are exclusively talking about, this claim is quite unfounded!! You don’t have a clue how many people are frustrated that EN has removed a key function from File Attachment. I have put up with it for almost a year (longer? don’t know) before bothering to join this Forum.

What do you mean by “the relative path in the EndNote .data folder option should be used”? Do you mean the *.Data folder associated with my ENL file? I couldn’t see anything meaningful to edit in there. Hmmm …“for most convenience”? Why have you mention this option now and not earlier? Is this more complex and risky than the first suggestion (use another editable field)? I would appreciate more details if you do think it is a legitimate option. But I doesn’t sound like one for the casual users.

“Clearly this does not support every desired workflow” … no, not the one that a long-term EN user has employed for years? That is the one that is not supported. Yes are right there.

In the meantime, I’ll just have to use my handicapped X2 version.

Paul.

Hello PaulK,

Absolute path for the File Attachment is the method to keep all the PDF files somewhere else other than .data folder associated with endnote library. Relative path is the method to keep all the PDF files in .data folder.

By the way, as far as I remember, URL field was first added in version 8? then File Attachment was added in version 9 or 10? I’m not sure about these, but I don’t know File Attachment path was ever editable back then? Of course, URL has been editable. I can check which version’s File Attachment was editable by installing old ones, but that’s not the time I want to spend. At least version X1’s File Attachement path is not editable. So your frustration started with X1??

Dear myoshigi,

Thanks. I’m not really interested in editing data files actually. This is inconvenient, risky and … daft.

I don’t remember when, or in what version, I started using the File Attachment (FA) field, but it must be at least five years. I had a quick look on the EN website and didn’t immediately come across info about update history.

Unlike you myoshigi, I used the URL field for URLs and the FA field for file attachments. I never had any problems until X1. Since then, I have not been able to directly edit or access the FA field. Previously it behaved similarly to the URL field I think. I had a term list called Paths which was associated with  the FA field. It enabled me to use auto-complete and very quickly add absolute paths linking my record with a PDF or other file.

There is little extra in X1 or X2 that is useful for me, so I’m probably going to revert back to v.9. A fast, clean and simple program is what I need.

Cheers, Paul

@paulk wrote:

I’m probably going to revert back to v.9. A fast, clean and simple program is what I need.

Update!! Success in moving my precious links out of the crippled File Attachments (FA) field.

I did reinstall EN9 and noticed that the FA field (also called Link to PDF field) *was* available in Change/Move Field, unlike in EN X2. After doing all the clumsy steps listed in Message 5 of this thread (especially backing up ENL first!!), I was successfully able to move my FA data to a new, editable field in one go. I then opened my ENL in ENX2 and finished tidying up the now visible, accessible and editable links to my PDFs, DOCs, etc. Auto-completion works using Term List called Paths that is linked to my new field.

One interesting observation, not fully tested, is that dragging a file (e.g. PDF) onto a record forces it into the FA field, even though I do not have that field displayed anymore (deleted in Modify Reference Types for all reference types). You can’t drop it into *any* field. So ‘drop and drag’ wont work for my new field, but that’s fine as I prefer to type it in with auto-completion and my fingers.

To save users from this painful, risky and time-wasting process, I would still assert that making the FA field directly editable is an important improvement (reversion actually) to future versions of EN; with a tick-box in Preferences > URLs & Links, defaulted to ‘not editable/icon only’ to minimise errors by new users. This is similar to the current option for relative links in the same dialogue box.

So now I have a slow, clean and simple program … “two out of three ain’t bad” (Loaf 1977).

Paul

Loaf,M. 1977. Bat Out of Hell. Cleveland International Records, Willoughby.