Numbering of references is wrong when using "categories" in bibiography in CV

I would appreciate some help.  I am a basic Endnote user who undertook the task of keeping my CV with Endnote.  I have created a style based on the AMA styles.  I have modified several parts of this to match my University CV template requirements.  I am stuck on this problem at the end:

1.  My bibliography has 3 sections- journal articles, conference abstracts, and book chapters.  I have tried doing this two ways but ended up in same place.  I made a group in EN for each and cited them separately as groups at first.  I used “Categorize References” to make my 3 categories in Word.  The numbering was all messed up.   The book chapter section was numbered 5,24, 25, etc.  I tried making one big group in EN with all the refs, then citing them, then categorizing them into my 3 categories, and got the same numbers.  Can anyone help me get my 3 categories to each start from “1.”?

Have you looked at this?  I think there is an option “recycle numbers”  on page 7 of 10 of the PDF blink below.  .  But I think it requires a bit more work then just using the “on the fly” category settings available during CWYW - as the output style is set for in order of appearance.  You need to do this in edit output style settings as outlined in here.  I haven’t tried this lately though.  

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/attachments/ts/en-training/109/1/Categories%20in%20Bibliographies.pdf

yes thank you.  I have no familiarity with using subject bibliographies.  It appears the number sorting you mention on pages 7-10 is in the subject bibliography creation.  That would be a new thing to learn. 

Can anyone comment in general whether using subject bibliography would be the correct way to attack my problem?  I have learned categories, different folders, etc so far.  While that is useful I am not a high volume user of the program, so would like to focus on this point on the strategy that is likely to work for this problem.

So if subject bibliographies are it, I will dive in and learn them.  It says in this document to save the “document” that is created at end of making a subject bibliography as a “rich Text” document.  I am not sure how this would work with putting my citations in my CV.  Can anyone explain? 

Thanks!

The alternative (perhaps simpler approach) is to use a non numbered format, and then once in your CV,  unllink, and select each set and add the numbers there using Words toolbar (restarting the numbering).  Just depends on how often you need to update your CV I guess.  –

I just add the new citations to my CV by doing the ^K on the new citation (with my CV output style selected in Endnote) and pasting it into my existing document. No fields, no auto updating, no fuss.   I don’t need to regenerate it each time.  – So unless you are preparing lots of different peoples CVs not sure why you need the automation of endnote.  

@sdavis81 wrote:

… 1.  My bibliography has 3 sections- journal articles, conference abstracts, and book chapters.  I have tried doing this two ways but ended up in same place.  I made a group in EN for each and cited them separately as groups at first.  I used “Categorize References” to make my 3 categories in Word.  The numbering was all messed up.   The book chapter section was numbered 5,24, 25, etc.  I tried making one big group in EN with all the refs, then citing them, then categorizing them into my 3 categories, and got the same numbers.  Can anyone help me get my 3 categories to each start from “1.”?

Instead of using  Categories or Subject Bibliography the desired numbering  can be  achieved if you: 1) modify your output style file (Sections, Sort Order, and Layout); 2) use the “Sections” feature in Endnote and MS Word; and 3) use the numbering feature in MS Word. (Refer to image #1 for result which shows numbering in each category beginning with “1” and the entries listed in descending order by year.)

[NOTE: 1) The indentation of the references can be easily changed by adjusting the “Paragraph” style settings; 2) numbering of the references can be restarted to “1”easily and as needed; 3) updating the list just calls for copying the new reference from the Endnote “Preview” window then pasting it into the location of the first-listed reference entry and moving the original entry to the next line, which automatically re-numbers the other references (no regenerating of the contents).]

The process involves the following: 

1. (Refer to image #2.) Change the following settings in your output style file [Go to the EndNote toolbar, select Edit > Output Styles > Edit name of output style]:

a. Sections. Select the option “Create a bibliography. Each section”.

b. Bibliography Sort order. Select the option “Order of appearance”.

c. Bibliography Layout. Delete/clear the contents in the “Starts each reference with:” box.

[Close the output style file. After saving the file change the Endnote setting (in the MS Word ribbon) to use the new output style file.]

1. (Refer to image #3, top.) In your MS Word document for the first category (Journal Articles):

a. Insert a section break.

b. In Endnote, open the Journal Articles group and sort the references in descending order by year then insert the references into the MS Word document.

c. Next enter the category title (Journal Articles) at the top between the first section break and the first reference.

d. Finally, press enter.
e. Repeat steps 2a-2d for the next 2 groups (Conference Proceedings, Book Chapters).

1. (Refer to image #3, bottom.) To number each of the references within a category:
    a. Begin by selecting all of the references within the Journal Article category then go to the MS Word “Home” tab, click the Numbering menu and select “Number alignments Left“. Now each of the references within the Journal Article categories are numbered beginning with “1”.

b. Repeat step 3a for the remaining 2 categories (Conference Proceedings, Book Chapters).

c. Note: Indentation spacing can be changed by either creating a new style in MS Words or modifying the existing style.