PDF import WITHOUT copy files to the folder.

I would like to import my PDF files which have been well organized to Endnote.
However, I don’t want to have additional copy in the default folder because it really wastes the storage.

So, can I do it by import-folder?

I spent all afternoon to figure out this problem but fail to get any clue.

Thanks.

I agree that this is a waste of space - I just lost 1 GB of my hard drive space because EN copied the pdfs.  Can someone clarify the reason that EN makes copies of the pdfs?

I scan through my pdf folder several times a day to read, highlight, and comment my pdfs.  The EN-created folder is not convenient for this so I feel like I’m stuck with unecessary duplicates of pdfs - those that I use, and those that EN uses.

Edit: I tried deleting the contents of the pdf folder that EN (version X4.0.1) created, and EN seems to continue to work properly (except that the link to the pdf is lost).  This seems to be a temporary fix for me.

The problem of broken links makes sense.  Thanks.  I’m not sure I follow you on the other topic though.  Are you saying that I can import a pdf folder and tell EN to use relative links so that it does not make copies of the files?  I tried turning off the option in Preferences under URLs and Links (“Copy new file attachments…”) but saw no difference when importing a folder of pdfs.