Preview Tab

I would like to have the option to change what I see on the preview tab. You can put it under preferences, and give a choice to check off what you want to see, either the bibliography format as it is now, or any of the fields from the reference card. For example, I would like to be able to see the abstract of an article most times instead of just the bibliography citation.

1 Like

What you see in the preview is actually defined by the output style. So, you can make your own “Abstract view” style to see the abstract in the preview pane. In fact, I have my own “preview” style which displays title, author, year, journal, abstract, and my personal comment in bold, in the preview pane.

Message Edited by myoshigi on 01-08-2009 05:46 PM

Hi igordon, developpers,

I would like to extend your suggestion by adding the possibility to have a preview of the Output Style of as well as “Citation”, “Footnotes” and “Bibliography”, since I use three different output styles. It will allow me to quickly check if all needed information is in the right place in my Entry.

The place where you can change the Preview could be via Preferences or connected to the Preview Pane as well.

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Yes, make the preview pane customizable. In fact, go back to the way it worked in ProCite. The preview pane showed the citation as it would appear in the designated output style, and below that one could add other fields, which one selected by using checkboxes on the Preferences menu.

I was astounded that Endnote didn’t have this design, when I changed this year.

Jennifer Veitch

2 Likes

As moyshigi said, you can control this with a customised Style.

I have two main styles that I use 99% of the time: (1) ‘Standard’ which just has my regular formated citation style, and (2) “Standard-notes” which has the Standard citation, then the key fields I use and like to see, i.e. physical file location, e-file location, URL, keywords, abstract.

Here is the format for journals in my Standard-notes ENS …

Author. Year. Title. Journal.|  Volume |(Issue):| Pages|.
Filed: Label|
File: File Link|
Web: URL|
KW: Keywords|
Abst: Abstract

PaulK and Myoshigi are missing the point: 

It’s quite a PITA to do this now, and it would be a lot easier if it were as simple as checking a different box in the preferences. 

Forgive me if I’m not excited about programming Endnote to preview footnotes — I thought I paid for the software so I wouldn’t have to do this.

1 Like

I agree – I would like to see  the functionality described earlier in this thread by ToStue.  While you can check the formatting of the bibliography relatively quickly, it is often difficult to quickly check the citation format , particularly spacing, numbered, superscripted/bracketed, etc (or the footnote format, for those that use it).  while working on an output style.  I am slightly less worried about adding or removing fields “on the fly” from the preview. 

@tostue wrote:

I would like to extend your suggestion by adding the possibility to have a preview of the Output Style of as well as " Citation", " Footnotes" and " Bibliography", since I use three different output styles. It will allow me to quickly check if all needed information is in the right place in my Entry.

The place where you can change the Preview could be via Preferences or connected to the Preview Pane as well.

Hello,

I am actually betatesting X7 and was disappointed not to see this possibility in this new version as well. So was I with X6. 

Since I am using my own output style, one’s cannot imagine how boring it is to always go back to the paper in order to format only to check is the changes done to the footnotes style (both normal and short form) as well as to the citations are correct.

Can we expect this such simple feature. Come on it’s not difficult to implement since the bibliography preview already exists. When we scroll trough the 5000 more output styles, the preview shows also the footnotes if available. So why not inside the main preview pane window?!

Thanks Leanne for you intervention but engineers have not yet listened to you this time. 

Flav

1 Like

Flavio,

As a beta tester you have the opportunity to comment in the testing survey and by communicating directly with the beta coordinator at any time during the testing period. Please refrain from discussing the beta releases in any public venue. This is a direct violation of the non-disclosure agreement you electronically accept before downloading any beta release.

Thank you.

Sharon Ennis

EndNote Beta Test Coordinator

Dear Sharon,

I fully agree with you. Thanks for reminding it to me!

Flav