Problem with Endnote 4 and Mac OSX/ Word for Mac

Hi,

Since down loading Endnote 4, I am experiencing 2 problems:

1. When I try to double-click on a citation to edit it, it sometimes works and takes me to the edit citation box but most times it hyperlinks me to the relevant entry on the bibliography.  How can I turn this hyperlink feature off?
  2. The major problem I am having is that when I edit a citation (add an additional reference, for example) and then close the edit citation box, the cursor always jumps pack to the beginning of the document on which I am working.  This is a huge time waster and very irritating.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

You turn off hyperlinking from the format bibliography menu, a checkbox at the bottom.  You should be able to invoke the edit citation - well, by right clicking on a Windows machine, probably by alt-or Apple key+ mouse clicking on a Mac? 

Regarding item 2, we are investigating this now.

- Mathilda, the EndNote team

Hi Leanne,  Thanks for the reply but what is the “format bibliography” menu?  Do you mean the cwyw menu?  If so, there is no such tickbox.  Can you please elaborate a bit more.  Thanks

I am not sure of the equivalent on a Mac, but if you wanted to change the style that the paper was being formated with in Word, that is where this option also resides?

The bibliography at the end of my Word 2008 document uses dashes for the 2nd and subsequent works by the same author under Endnote X3, but this no longer happens under Endnote X4, even when I specify it in the templates section. The document format was alright in X3 but the dashes disappear when I reformat using X4. The author names are repeated instead. I think there’s a bug here? Thanks.

I am having the same problem: Endnote x4 on the Mac does not replace repeated author in the bibliography with dashes.

Hello, 

I’m having this same problem…

“The major problem I am having is that when I edit a citation (add an additional reference, for example) and then close the edit citation box, the cursor always jumps pack to the beginning of the document on which I am working.  This is a huge time waster and very irritating.  Any suggestions?”

You’d anser that you are investigation the problem… any news (sorry,but it is so annoying! I have a 475 pages long document!). I’mm appreciate your help. 

Hello,

Since I continue to have the same problem as item 2 above, I am wondering what is the status of this issue within the EndNote community?

To confirm my issue: 

• The major problem I am having is that when I edit a citation (add an additional reference, for example) and then close the edit citation box, the cursor always jumps pack to the beginning of the document on which I am working.  This is a huge time waster and very irritating.  Any suggestions?

I am using Mac OS X v 10.6.6

I am also using Microsoft Word for Mac 2008 (12.2.8).

Thanks,

Ed

The “jumping cursor” issues described in these posts is something that we have made improvements to in the upcoming EndNote X4.02 update for Macintosh. We hope to have this publicly available in the next week or so.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thanks for the quick response Jason.

Ed

Hello Jason

I have just installed the x4.0.2 update and am still experiencing the jumping cursor problem mentioned above. It seemed to rectify it initially, but when I logged out of Word 8 and endnote, and back in again, the problem was back.

thanks