Problem with names containing apostrophes

I believe I’ve found a bug but want to make sure. I’m attempting to cite a source by an author with the surname, O’Connor.

When the citation appears in the text (using APA), it incorrectly inserts the first and middle initials; for example, it appears as:

(R. S. O’Connor, 1998)

When the apostrophe is removed, it appears correctly as:

(O’Connor, 1998)

is there a way to correct this?

Thanks.

The current APA style files work correctly so it’s probably not a bug but more likely a problem with your APA style file’s Author Name citation format where the “Initials” option is incorrectly set. A quick fix is to download and install a new style file (use “Web Styles Finder” if your version of EndNote includes it under “Help” or go to: http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyles.asp).   However, you could check your APA output style by doing the following:

1. Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT APA [whatever version you’re using]. This will cause the APA style window to appear onscreen.

2. In the APA style window, locate “Citations” and click to select AUTHOR NAME (see attached image). Then on the right-side under “Name Format” check that “Last Name Only” is selected for the Initials option.  Also check that the “Use initials only for primary authors with the same name” is selected.

Close the style file.  You will be prompted to save the changes which will be saved as a “copy” (e.g., APA 6th Copy).  If you elect to use this file name, you’ll need to change the style file in both EndNote and MS Word to reflect the “copy” file.

Citations_AuthorNameSetting.gif

If that is the only citation that initials appear in, then it is unlikely to be the output style.  It is more likely that Endnote thinks there are two different O’Connors and is disambiguating them–

and how, if you remove the apostrophe, is it showing up in the citation?  Perhaps the apotrophe is ` (opening quote?) rather than an apostrophe?

If there is another O’Connor used in the list, Try copying the name from that record to this one.  (Sometimes it is even a second author).  But remember, if there are two different O’Connors being referenced, you NEED to disambiguate them according to the APA guidelines. 

Thank you!