Problems merging documents

I have been using EndNote to add citations to a manuscript that I have been writing in which each chapter is a separate file in Microsoft Word. My problem is that when I try to paste the chapters together in a single document, the bibliography does not move to the new document with the text. Is there a way to “refresh” the bibliography so it will pull in the citations from the text that I paste into the new document? How can I merge all my chapters and also have a single bibliography that includes all the references that I cite in the text? 

I am using a Mac and I’m running Mountain Lion 10.8.1. I am also using Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 version 14.2.3. I am using an old version of EndNote: X4.0.2. Could that be part of the problem? 

Don’t think it’s an issue with X4; possibly Mac-related but hard to say without further info. Did you try clicking the “Update Citations and Bibliography” option from the EndNote tab in the MS Word ribbon?

If that doesn’t work you might test whether unformatting the citations from backup copies of 2 chapters; merge the documents; then update the citations and bibliography to see if that works. If it does, then it might indicate unformatting the citations might be needed before merging and updating the citations/bibliography.

I always advise people to unformat citations before ANY cutting and pasting of text containing citations, so this includes for merging documents. If you have not been in the habit of unformatting citations then you will need to unformat then reformat (ie update citations) within each document just to test that all the citations are matched. There might be some work involved in re-matching citations if you have not done this before - but it is important you get through this step and re-match, that way you find out where the problems are. Then unformat again before merging chapters and it should all come together in a single bibliography when you update citations again.

Version X4.0.2 should be fine with Word for Mac 2011.

Hi I had exactly the same problem .I wanted to merge a couple of texts. I did as Jacamero said and it worked totally fine. Important is howeer that ENX4 on Mac does not have any option called update citaton or what ever. On Mac you have to unformat the texts and then click on “Format Bibliography”

Wow, thanks to all of you. It worked!