right-alignment of bibliography numbers

How do I make my bibliography numbers “right-align” at the period so that I don’t get a shift of my bibliography author text when I go from single digit bibliography number to two digit bibliography number?   (when it goes from 9. to 10.)

Appreciate your input.

-Tim

It doesn’t seem that EndNote is able at the moment to adjust bibliographic numbers 1-9 so they align with two-digit numbers. However, the alignment can be achieved in MS Word by creating and applying a style that will increase the indentation of selected paragraphs.

The following instructions are based on MS Word 2010 so if you find some differences with your version of Word, click the Help button MS Word and search for information.

CREATE A STYLE TO ADJUSTS PARAGRAPH INDENTATION (Refer to image 1 for steps 1-3)

1. Click the “Home” tab of the MS Word ribbon then in the"Styles" section click the tiny arrow located below the “Change Styles” wording. This will cause the Styles window to pop-up on-screen.

2. In the Styles pop-up display, at the bottom of the screen click the “New Style” button.  This will cause the “Create New Style from Formatting” window to pop-up on-screen. 
      a. Name the style (this example names the style: Align Bib#s);
      b. Click the “Format” pulldown button at the bottom of the screen then select: Paragraph.  This will cause the “Paragraph” window to pop-up on-screen.

3. In the Paragraph dialog box, change the paragraph indentation so the “First line” is indented by .1.  Also check/change the line spacing before and afer to “0”, and that “Single spacing” is selected.

Click OK to close the Paragraph box and save the new settings. Click OK again to cclose the “Create New Style” dialog box.

APPLY THE NEW STYLE TO ALIGN BIBLIOGRAPHY ENTRIES NUMBERED 1-9 (Refer to image 2)

1. In the MS Word styles section, note that the newly created style (e.g., Align Bib#s) is now displayed as an option. To apply the style first select the bibliography entries numbered 1-9 then click the Align Bib#s style.  Appying the style changes the indentation of the references so they align with references having two-digits.

If you want to fine-tune the paragraph indenting further, just repeat steps 1-3 to return to the Paragraph dialog box and change the number.

Thank you so much :smileyvery-happy:

it can be directly solved without making any new style. Just go to the current style of bibliography in word. In that style go to modify, paragraph, tabs, and increase the tab stop length to 1 cm and clear all other tab stops. this solves the problem.