Searching Library of Congress with LC Subject Headings (LCSH)

I have Library of Congress selected/highlighted for an online search option, the subject search field prompts for entry, the two remaining search fields are blank.  I enter “Monastic Libraries” (without the quotes) and come up with 193 results.  But, if I use a somewhat longer LCSH: “Monastic Libraries–Europe” (without the quotes), I get no results.  I have tried eliminating the two dashes, or using a + symbol between words, or changing the case to all lowercase, all combinations of the previous, still nothing. 

However, if I go the LC website and enter the same LCSH under Subject Browse (advanced), it all works fine, I get hits.

Additionally, if I enter the same LCSH: “Monastic Libraries–Europe” as an advanced subject search on WorldCat (OCLC), I get results.  So, what does EndNote need to perform subject searches with LCSH?  Ideas???

I’ve long been critical of the fact that EndNote connection files don’t allow users to make use of the full potential of the databases that they are searching. Unfortunately, nobody except librarians seems to care very much about this!

In EndNote, click on Edit>Connection Files>Edit “Library of Congress” (or open the Connection Manager and select Library of Congress).

When the edit window opens, click on “Search Attributes” on the left-hand side.

Go to the Keywords row in the search attributes. Make these changes:

In the Pos column, insert 1.

In the Str column, insert 1.

In the Tru column, insert 1.

Close the edit window, and save the changes when prompted.

Now establish the online search connection again. Select the Keywords field, and search for: monastic libraries europe (no quotation marks or dashes required). You should retrieve 9 results, the same as you would retrieve by searching for this subject heading in the web version of the LC catalogue.

John: thanks for the knowledgeable response.  I made the changes as suggested and now get the intended results.  For my research purposes, use of LC subject headings is vital in exploring potential bibliographic sources and forging solid, comprehensive, bibliographies, and to do so reliably time and again.  And, yes, I have worked in academic libraries for many years.  I wonder what tipped you off?  Thanks again.