update references in text

I write in APA 5th style, which requires to mention all the authors in the text the first time the reference is mentioned, but later only the first author et al. So the first time it should be e.g. (Johnson, Peterson & Graham, 2007) and afterwards (Johnson et al., 2007). Endnote does this correctly when I enter the references first. However, sometimes I want to delete a passage and then the second reference becomes the first, so (Johnson et al., 2007) should change into the full reference. This does not happen. How can I solve this? It seems so easy but I cannot find it.

If an in-text citation is deleted via Edit Citation > Remove button, the in-text citations are adjusted correctly. This is the safest way to remove citations to ensure no EndNote field coding is accidentally left behind in Word.

If you delete a block of text without using Remove, then the in-text citations are not automatically updated. Activating Format Bibliography should adjust the citations.

Finally, the APA rules for multiple authors are quite complex. The rule as you state it applies only to works with 3, 4 or 5 authors. For other situations, see the Publication manual, pp. 208-209.

Cheers, John

Thank you very much, that worked and it was quite easy indeed, why didn’t I find this myself…

By the way, I am aware that APA 5th is more complex than I mentioned in my first message, but for the sake of simplicity I didn’t want to mention all the details that aren’t really relevant here.

Again, thank you very much!

Sanne

Thank you very much, that worked and it was quite easy indeed, why didn’t I find this myself…

By the way, I am aware that APA 5th is more complex than I mentioned in my first message, but for the sake of simplicity I didn’t want to mention all the details that aren’t really relevant here.

Again, thank you!

Sanne

Hitting the reformat button after just deleting a block with references, will also adjust the bibliography and citation formating.

Message Edited by Leanne on 11-13-2008 07:56 AM

I am using end note X4 . I wrote in soem of the references by hand. I finished my word the document and i have many problems.

1. Some references have ( David et al, 2009) others ( Johnson and Ronald et al, 2003).
  2. Do I need to go back to each reference to correct this?.
  3. Some of references look like this 

Institut National de la Statistique et de la Démographie , M. d. l. E. e. d. D. N. d. l. S. e. d. l. D. (2003). Enquête Burkinabe sur les Conditions de Vie des Ménages 2003. les enquêtes QUIBB. M. d. l. E. e. d. Developement. Burkina Faso.

all those letters how can I correct this?

It is very important that you enter the authors in a similar manner and one author is entered per line.  Hence, you should go back into those records and ensure For example

Johnson, F. I.  (with spaces between initials) the periods are optional) (Carriage return)

Ronald, A. E. (assuming Ronald is the next author and not the first name of Johnson)

NextAuthor, F. I.

NextNextAuthor, First Iniital

To the institutional name add a comma to the end of the name to prevent it being interpreted as a surname.  Put two commas if there is a comma in the name.