new user question

Hi! I’m a new Endnote X2 user so my question is very basic.

I’m writing a paper in APA 5 format. When I insert a reference from my EN library, the citation (in the text) does not include the first three authors. It only includes the first with et al. Also, in the bibliography, the font appears as Calibri size 11, while my paper is in Times New Roman 12.

How do I get Endnote to apply APA 5 format?   Thanks!

CM

For APA 5th, the correct formating is to list  all the authors the first time you cite the source if there 3 to 5 authors, and in subsequent citations, only use the first author’s last name followed by “et al.” in the signal phrase or in parentheses.

(Kernis et al., 1993).  for six or more authors, you only ever use the first author’s name followed by et al.  If you want to change from the style requirements, these settings are in the “Edit” edit output style under citation> author lists. 

Yes… but mine is inserting the first author with et al in the first citation (not just the subsequent ones. 

In the first situation (not all authors appear in the in-text citation), check your “Author Lists” setting.  Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT APA 5th.  In the APA 5th display window locate and click “Author List”.  Check the two areas concerning Abbreviated Author List and that the numbers match those in the attached image.

Am curious about the second situation (font). as EndNote-generated bibliographies should use the matching font of your word processing document. However, this will occur only if you use the default font/size for your EndNote library so check your EndNote references have been entered using the default Plain font (other acceptable fonts include Arial, Courier New, Times Roman).