Word 2010 APA sixth style et al by more than 2 authors

Hello,

I am using the citations and bibliography option in Word 2010, APA sixth style.

I am trying to change the settings, so that if there are more than 2 authors, it says ([_First author] _et al., year). 

With the settings now, it only does this when than are more than 5 authors. Any ideas how to change this? Would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Modify the Author Lists section (under Citations) of the output style. You want to change the Abbreviated Author List - First Appearance and Subsequent settings to:    "If 3 or more authors, list the first 2  author(s).

Save the modified style file then change to use the style.

Thanks for your quick response! 

However, I can’t find the Author Lists section where you say it should be. Am I looking in the wrong place? I’ve added a printscreen to show what I’m using and where I looked for it. Hope you can help!

Thanks ahead!

You need to edit the Endnote APA output style from within the Endnote program (not from the MS Word ribbon). Go to the Endnote toolbar and select: Edit > Output Styles >Edit APA 6th. Then locate the Citations section of the output style and click on Author Lists (refer to attached image). Then make the change noted in prior posting…

Ah ok I see!

Is that the only way? Because that would mean I have to use the Endnote program, and at the moment I made it with the option in Word. Or do I just have to accept the fact that Word is kind of limited in its options? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait, I see I probably have the wrong forum for this. I’ll consider using Endnote.

Thanks for your help anyway!

This is the only way since modifying Endnote’ s APA output style was required in order to make the adjustment noted in your posting. Also note that while the APA output style was selected in your MS Word toolbar, the Endnote program works in tandem with MS Word. So in order to insert citations in your Words document your Endnote program should be active so you can access the references in your library. Other functions may not require having the Endnote program open so it depends on what you’re doing.  

yes, I see you are using the in-built Word citation software and not Endnote – an additional program that you would need to puchase.  

You can test it and it can “adapt” what you already have in Word.  But if you test it, make sure you save your document and open a copy with endnote, so if you don’t like it, you have the original.  www.endnote.com  – try free link. 

I do not work for Endnote!  Just familiar with the program.