X4.0.1 "Update Citations and Bibliography" sometimes stops working until exiting from Word 2007 and reloading

I am currently using X4.0.1 and need to update my citations (in Word 2007) rather often in order to find a solution to all the formatting problems. I never save my file to avoid creating problems when converting to unformatted citations; I simply want to check the results and will save the formatted text only when I am absolutely ready to do so.

A problem I have encountered more than once is that, after having generated the citations, clicking on Update Citations and Bibliography no longer works. I need to exit Word and reload; it is only after doing so that the EndNote plugin agrees to do its job. It thus seems to become “tired” of working… What is happening?

I had a similar problem  EndNote tech support told me to do this

1. Make a backup of your document.
  2. In Word 2010 with Endnote X4 or later, go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.

In Word 2007 with Endnote X1 or later, go to the EndNote tab and choose the “Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations” command.

In Word 2007 with Endnote X or earlier, go to the Add-Ins tab and choose the “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.

In Word 2000/XP/2003 go to the Tools Menu and select “EndNote > Unformat Citations” command.

This will remove the reference list and revert the citations.
3. Press [Ctrl]+A on the keyboard to highlight everything.
4. Press [Ctrl]+6 (above the “T” and “Y” key) to remove any additional hidden field codes.
5. Press [Ctrl]+C to copy the highlighted text.
6. Open a new document and press [Ctrl]+V to paste

However, this is at your own risk. It may not apply to your situation. As long as you test on a backup, no harm done

Jody Dillow’