Accessing "Online Databases" in Endnote Via Proxy Server?

Hi. I access my universities online databases from home through a proxy server. How does one bypass the request in Endnote X5 for a user ID and password for the different online databases, and instead have the software log in to those databases via a library proxy server? I am working on the Mac version of Endnote X5.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have you checked thisFAQ? or maybe this knowledgebase ariticle? (note added in edit—  I hate that the links for the knowledgebase aren’t stable):

Here is one:

The “A ‘Transfer References’ error has occurred (3)” message can be resolved by adding an exception for "services.myendnoteweb.com” within the proxy server settings associated with the computer network that you’re on.  To resolve this issue for your entire site, it would be best to contact your IT department and ask that they add "services.myendnoteweb.com” to the sitewide proxy server exception list. 

However, these steps can also be applied to a single workstation.  To correct this issue on a particular computer-

1.  Open Internet Explorer, then click “Tools>Internet Options”.

2.  Click the “Connections” tab, then press the “LAN Settings” button. 

3.  In Proxy Server section, click “Advanced”. 

4.  In the Exceptions section, add “services.myendnoteweb.com” to the list. 

5.  Save settings. 

6.  Try transferring references between EndNote X5 and EndNote Web again.

If the steps listed above fail to resolve this problematic behavior, it has also been reported that unchecking the “Automatically detect settings” option on the “LAN Settings” window may resolve the issue. 

Here is another (but this might be the same as the FAQ info):

You can add the URL for the HTTP-based connection as an exception. To find the setting to change in your proxy server settings do the following:

1. Click on the Edit menu > Connection Files > Open Connection Manager.
  2. Browse to the remote connection, highlight it and click Edit.
  3. Click on the Connection Settings option on the left of the screen.
  4. You will find the URL under Server Address. The standard address you will see here for 2 common sites are:

PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Web of Science: gateway.isiknowledge.com

Windows
EndNote 5*, 6, 7, 8 and later use the proxy settings in the Windows Internet Options for HTTP-based connections such as the Web of Science, so make sure these are set correctly to recognize your proxy server.

1. Open the “Internet Options” applet on the Windows Control Panel (or select Tools / Internet Options in Internet Explorer).
  2. Select the Connections tab and click the LAN Settings button.
  3. Make sure that the “Use a proxy server…” box is checked and that the address and port number of the proxy server are entered correctly.
  4. If the problems persist, click on the “Advanced…” button in the LAN Settings dialog. Under “Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with:” type the URL of the site you are trying to search (either PubMed or Web of Science). Click OK and try the search again.

Macintosh OS X
Try adding the PubMed/Web of Science URL to the proxy exceptions list in your System Preferences.

1. Open System Preferences and select Network / Proxies tab.
  1. Type the URL of the remote database under “Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains”. Also make certain that “Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)” is not checked.

* If you are using EndNote 3, 4, or 5, please note that these versions of EndNote are no longer able to connect to and search PubMed directly. Please click here for details on this issue.

Hi Leanne. Thanks for your reply. Would you mind attaching the link for the article you referred to? The embedded hyperlink isn’t working.

In the FAQ Mac instructions for this issue, it states “Open System Preferences and select Network / Proxies tab”. I assume that they are referring here to the Endnote Preferences, not the Mac System Preferences. In any event, I can’t find the Network/Proxies tab. 

Perhaps the article you mentioned could offer more explicit direction.

Thanks!

MH

I follow the instructions below up to step #3 in the instructions below. Where I am getting confused is with #4. Are you supposed to substitute your university’s proxy server weblink for a given electronic resource (e.g. EBSCO Megafile) in place of the URL for the server address for that given database? In other words, how do you direct Endnote to the database you want to access by going through your university’s proxy server instead of going directly to the electronic databases’s website?   

You can add the URL for the HTTP-based connection as an exception. To find the setting to change in your proxy server settings do the following:

1. Click on the Edit menu > Connection Files > Open Connection Manager.
  2. Browse to the remote connection, highlight it and click Edit.
  3. Click on the Connection Settings option on the left of the screen.
  4. You will find the URL under Server Address. The standard address you will see here for 2 common sites are:

PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Web of Science: gateway.isiknowledge.com

I am not a Mac user, so I recommend that you phone Tech support for added advice.