Hi. I access my universities online databases from home through a proxy server. How does one bypass the request in Endnote X5 for a user ID and password for the different online databases, and instead have the software log in to those databases via a library proxy server? I am working on the Mac version of Endnote X5.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Hi Leanne. Thanks for your reply. Would you mind attaching the link for the article you referred to? The embedded hyperlink isn’t working.
In the FAQ Mac instructions for this issue, it states “Open System Preferences and select Network / Proxies tab”. I assume that they are referring here to the Endnote Preferences, not the Mac System Preferences. In any event, I can’t find the Network/Proxies tab.
Perhaps the article you mentioned could offer more explicit direction.
Thanks!
MH
I follow the instructions below up to step #3 in the instructions below. Where I am getting confused is with #4. Are you supposed to substitute your university’s proxy server weblink for a given electronic resource (e.g. EBSCO Megafile) in place of the URL for the server address for that given database? In other words, how do you direct Endnote to the database you want to access by going through your university’s proxy server instead of going directly to the electronic databases’s website?
You can add the URL for the HTTP-based connection as an exception. To find the setting to change in your proxy server settings do the following:
- Click on the Edit menu > Connection Files > Open Connection Manager.
- Browse to the remote connection, highlight it and click Edit.
- Click on the Connection Settings option on the left of the screen.
- You will find the URL under Server Address. The standard address you will see here for 2 common sites are:
PubMed: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Web of Science: gateway.isiknowledge.com