APA 5th and ambiguous citations

I am have an academic member of staff who is using Endnote X and Word 2003 on her own laptop. She is using the APA 5th rererencing style and is having the problem with the initials displaying in the in-text citations for ambiguous authors. I’ve found the posts on the forum relating to this and we have edited the ambiguous citations section of the style and updated the bibliography in Word, but no changes are being made to the in-text citations. I have also tried this with Endote X2 withthe same lack of success. 

Any ideas?

Sam

Rather than just updating, did she try unformatting the references and reformating them?  Did she change the Author field of any of the references?  Sometimes that causes a “disconnect” between the field and the record. 

Really, if a journal wants APA, they WANT the ambiguous citations “disambiguated”.  If they really aren’t ambiguous (that is they are really the same author), then the record should be changed by copy and pasting the first author from one record to the others being recognized as different.  There are often subtle changes you just don’t notice.

Then you should unformat and reformat. 

Message Edited by Leanne on 01-08-2009 08:28 AM

Okay, I did what I suggested and have the same problem.  there is another setting that you need to change.  :dizzy_face: 

in the Author name settings of Citations, there another box that needs to be unticked.  see attachment.  “Use initials only for primary authors with the same name”.  Perhaps someone can explain how this differs from the Ambigous settings???

Developers need to think about simplifying these multiple options!  :cry:

Okay, I did what I suggested and have the same problem.  there is another setting that you need to change.  :dizzy_face: 

in the Author name settings of Citations, there another box that needs to be unticked.  see attachment.  “Use initials only for primary authors with the same name”.  Perhaps someone can explain how this differs from the Ambigous settings???

Developers need to think about simplifying these multiple options!  :cry:

otherplace.gif

1 Like