?APA Format in Endnote X2

I am trying to convert an APA bibliography to Endnote X2 and I find that it uses a maximum of 2 authors then et al. in all citations and in the bibliography. 

I cannot get it to deal with Smith, J. (Ed.) for a book. 

I do not get the “Retrieved <date> from <database> .” at the end of a journal paper.

When I try to corect the citation or reference, the Endnote generated text is immediately re-inserted.

Do I need to establish a custom format or am I not seeing some tailoring capability?

We’re still using X1.0.1 … but APA style changed in 2007, and no longer has a “Retrieved <date> from <database> .” at the end of a journal paper. See my earlier posting at

http://forums.thomsonscientific.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-howto&message.id=65#M65

(I don’t know the reason for 3+ authors + et al., as those APA rules have not changed as far as I’m aware [up to 5 authors in in-text citations, up to 6 authors in the reference list before et al. is used]).

Cheers, John

That is only one of several problems noted:

Aimone, J.

Wiles, J.

Gage, F.

becomes:

ASDF (Aimone, Wiles, & Gage, 2006)

Aimone, J., Wiles, J., & Gage, F. (2006). Potential role for adult neurogenesis in the encoding of time in new memories. Nature Neuroscience, 9(6), 723-727.

Note that 1) the author list is shortened to two names, 2) the bibliography entry has both the foreshortened list and incorrect placement of the initial for the second name.

I did check that I still had APA 5th selected.

I did find, after some messing around that if I insert the item without a format then format the bibliography to APA 5th in Word it come out:

ASDF (Aimone, Wiles, & Gage, 2006)

Aimone, J., Wiles, J., & Gage, F. (2006). Potential role for adult neurogenesis in the encoding of time in new memories. Nature Neuroscience, 9(6), 723-727.

subsequent citation was:

LLLL (Aimone, et al., 2006)

which is all correct. Also I tried with six+ authors and got the correct first citation and reference as long as I formatted it after insertion. So the problem is in the  insertion interface either not using the selected format or having a differnt formatting guide. However, there is one anomaly to that idea - now the preview pane in Endnote shows the format that it will have in MS Word after I do the format step, where as before it was showing the format from the first case.

However, there are additional rules that apply when more author names are required to distinguish references, and a couple of sample cases, ended up with the citations being indistinguishable.

Another problem that I have noted is that for compilation books, where the editor becomes the primary author in the data fields, I can find no way to designate (Ed.) I did make it include (Ed.) as an additional author so that it is close.

If I try to fix those, Endnote immediately sets them back to the error. 

I tried selecting the error item and using remove codes. All of the citations and references were changed to text and new citations went in tas the unformattd ({}) as text only, even though I still had APA 5th selected. (Which is how I found out about the fix to the shortened author list.)

So at this point, my workaround is: 

1. Just do unformatted citations while I write. 

2. When I am done,

save a copy,  so that I can do any further modifications

format the citations as APA 5th (closeta)

remove the field codes

fix the (relatively few) items that aren’t handled properly

1. For any updates go back to the saved copy with the unformatted citations

Is there a simpler way?